XXII. The Tea

Piper's POV:

After breakfast, Jackson and Crystal still weren't back inside. I peek out the window the millionth time to see Crystal in the same form. Her head was pressed against her knees, and her body trembled.

There was a large coat around her.

Beside her were a man who had his hands pressed together and a concerned look on his face.

"Piper," Melody called for me. I turn my attention towards her, "Is everything okay?"

I smile, "Everything is okay. Thank you for helping me clean up." I pat her head.

Melody looked out the window, but she didn't say anything. Her lips twisted to the side, "Where are Dustin's toys? I want to play with him."

I exhaled softly before I pat her head again. "You're a good girl."

Melody stares at me for a moment before a wide smile spreads on her face.

"It's upstairs. In his bedroom."

Melody nodded once before she made her way towards Dustin. "Come on!" She supported him upstairs.

My attention went back towards the window to see Crystal hitting and screaming at Jackson. Immediately, I rushed towards the front door and opened it.

"I hate you!" Crystal screamed. She hit him again, "I hate you!"

When I took a step forward, our eyes met. Jackson shook his head, and I stepped back.

"My daddy is coming home! There is no room for you here! Go away!"

Jackson still didn't respond, and soon, Crystal stopped hitting him. Her chest inflated and deflated dramatically, with new tears streaming down her red cheeks.

"Crystal," Jackson said softly. "I'm not your dad."

His eyes went towards me for a moment.

It hurts.

"I know that," his voice was still low. "And no one could ever replace your dad."

"Then, why are you here?" she asked.

"I'm here because-"

"Because you want to take mommy away from daddy! You're evil!"

"Is that what you think? That... I'm here to take away your mommy?"

Crystal stared at him, and after a long silence, she nodded.

"Why would you think that I'm here to take away your mommy?"

Crystal tucked her lips over her teeth. "Everyone-" her lower lip poured out, "They say you're here to take mommy away from daddy." The water only streamed down her cheeks that seemed to get redder by the second, "And...And...And daddy will be sad. Daddy will come home and...and-" she wiped the snot onto her sleeve.

Jackson placed a hand on Crystal's shoulder, and when she accepted it, he softly held her against his chest. "Listen. I'm not going to take your mommy away from your daddy."

Crystal's head lifted, "You won't?"

He nods.

She wiped off her tears with her sleeve, "Promise?"

Jackson's eyes went towards me again before he looked down.

Crystal grabbed Jackson's shirt, "Please don't take mommy away from daddy. Daddy is going to come home...and...and he will be sad. It's my fault... It's my fault this happened to daddy. Please, Jackson. Please."