Books I Read While Writing This

Hi! So I thought of letting you guys know which books I read while writing this book, to get a feel of things, how to explain character perspectives, et cetera — everything I needed to write this. And these books — some of them, that is — are really good, so I thought you might like to give them a shot! Okay, here they are.

1. One Of Us Is Lying, by Karen McManus
Oh damn this book. Here's all you need to know about it : five kids walk into detention, only four come out alive. Who did what and why? Find out through the perspectives of the four who're still alive and breathing. I'm not a huge fan of the ending, but this story's got some nice character voices! Go give it a shot.

2. One Of Us Is Next, by Karen McManus
The sequel — ish — to the book mentioned above. Follows the story of three kids in the same place the first book is set in, and you also get a glimpse of what the previous characters are doing and where they are, now. Pretty good, do give it a shot. Though you won't have much choice after reading OOUIL, it's addictive AF.

3. A Good Girl's Guide To Murder, by Holly Jackson
This book is one of the very best murder mysteries I've ever read, and I've read a LOT. It's written by Holly Jackson – and her debut novel is NOTHING short of brilliant. Here's what you need to know : Pippa Fitz-Amobi, a brilliant student, decides to solve the murder of Andie Bell for her Senior Capstone project. She takes the help of Ravi Singh, the brother of the guy who's suspected of killing Andie and is no longer alive (Pip doesn't believe that, though) to solve the murder. She does solve it in the end and it's CRAAAAZY.

4. Good Girl, Bad Blood, by Holly Jackson
Sequel to the above. Two more books are coming out too and I cannot wait for them, I love the team Pip and Ravi make – you will too! This story unravels more of Little Kilton's secrets, this time through Pip and Ravi's true crime podcast.

5. And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie
CLASSIC. Here's where I – and, ahem, the character in question – got the idea for the creepy plan – invites, manor, everything. This book is so damn good you're missing out BIG if you aren't planning to read it. It will shock you so bad I can't even—

6. Murder On The Orient Express, by Agatha Christie
This book is frickin' synonymous when it comes to murder. A Poirot mystery, this is so damn satisfying I can't understand how. It's brilliant.

7. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Death on the Nile, both by Agatha Christie
I'll just say this – go read them. Just go read them.

8. The Stranger Beside Me, by Ann Rule
A true crime, semi-biographical work by Ann Rule, who knew the infamous Ted Bundy, grotesque and gory murderer extraordinaire. Reader discretion advised, it's pretty triggering – but a good read if you want to delve deeper into – stuff. I was curious, so I read it.

9. The Truly Devious Series, by Maureen Johnson
Oh man, these are so good! These books are about the adventures of Stevie Bell who's selected to attend the prestigious Ellingham Academy in Vermont. But more than to learn, she's here to find out why the founder of this school, and his family, disappeared. This book gave me the idea of a past-timeline narration. The story is told in the present as well as in the past, during Albert Ellingham's time, simultaneously. Bewitching stuff. 

10. The Cousins, by Karen McManus
Her latest release! It's not as good as OOUIL, but is good all the same. Lots of family secrets, give it a shot if you'd like.