One Year Ago

Caitlyn Tejada didn't go to school that day. She had other plans for the twenty-ninth of December.

Approximately, a week ago, Diego Torrez – the rich and kinda cute guy who lived somewhere fancy – went with her to a party. That had been a complete waste of time. There was no way she could do what she was there to do with him hovering around. Well, he wasn't actually hovering – it was her fault, really. She'd done everything she could to ditch him somewhere, but he just hadn't taken the hint.

She sighed, remembering that night. Her parents had made it clear she wasn't going anywhere alone – which, technically, meant that she wouldn't have been allowed to go to today's party if Kari hadn't given in and decided to accompany her. Her parents still thought something was wrong with her, and she wanted, desperately, to correct them, but she didn't know if it was any use repeating what she'd already said a million times. Kari. Was. Raped. Why. The. Fuck. Can't. You. See. That.

She wanted to smack Kari. She knew why she was denying it, and that was sweet of her, but seriously? Are you honestly going to keep quiet about something just because you want to prevent something from happening to your sister? Caitlyn wouldn't. She definitely wouldn't. She wasn't stupid.

She sat back down on her bed, landing in it with a light thump. Now if only she could find something good to wear.

At last, she decided on not wearing a dress. Like, they sucked, anyway. She picked blue jeans and a white top, and scooped her hair into a tight bun. She didn't want it getting in her way while she was working.

Her parents weren't worried about her missing school in the slightest. She'd heard them talk, the previous night. Her mother had said too much social interaction might be harmful, and school was so full of people – besides, she was already going to a party. That was enough people for a day. They thought she'd recovered a little, after she came back from the rehab center – or hell, as she'd call it. She'd almost forgotten who she was while she was in there.

"Kari?" The name still felt funny on her lips, after everything had happened. She didn't feel right calling her sister like that. "You're ready?"

"Oh, yes, you?" Kari walked into her room, looking fabulous. When she was younger, Caitlyn wished she could, one day, grow up to be as pretty as her sister. Kari had worn something similar to Caitlyn – a white dress that ended centimeters above her knees. Caitlyn was a bit wary of how good she looked – just because – but she didn't say anything. She needed Kari to play by her rules tonight.

"You've got your car back from the Masons'?" Kari asked, pulling Caitlyn from her thoughts. Caitlyn nodded.

"Got it this morning," she said, walking to her desk to pick up the keys. Jingling them in her hand, she faced Kari again.

"You look beautiful."

"You too, thanks!" Kari smiled radiantly. Caitlyn felt tears build behind her eyes. She wanted to scream, tear at her hair – but, instead, she smiled back.

"Are we ready?" she asked.

"Yeah," Kari replied, not losing the smile. "We are. You're driving?"

"Think you should," Caitlyn said, tossing the keys into Kari's palm. They landed with a loud jingle that echoed in Caitlyn's heart.

***

Caitlyn had no idea who owned this house, but whoever did was totally loaded. Probably as much as her parents were.

Kari slid the Carrera between two other cars. "We'll go out?" she asked.

"Yeah," Caitlyn said, not meeting her sister's eye. It'd been eternally long since they'd been alone together – and it took Caitlyn everything she had not to burst out crying or screaming. "Yeah. I'm ready. Let's – let's go."