Chapter Ten

Chairs of soft velvet upholstery scattered throughout the room. Oil lanterns sat on wooden tables usually accompanied by pint glasses or the odd drool of a passed out gentleman. Dark hedges lay beyond the bay window, concealing the outside world from the club. Bookshelves ran along two walls giving it an appearance of a study though no one came here to pursue knowledge. Members of the gentry huddled in small groups, griping about their wives or boasting about their latest endeavours. Wagers were made and drinks were down. Laughter and merriment filled the air.

Lost to the conversations around him, Alexander stared at the swirling amber liquid in his glass. His fingers flattening against the mark on his chest.

The memory of how it occurred, a dark curtain falling upon him.

A roar of utter agony tore from his throat. His body twisting in a futile attempt to free himself. From the shackles bounding him and the pain searing his chest. Stone bit into his flesh. An oversized hood hide all but her smile as she held out a hand. He thrashed to no avail. One last curve and the mark was complete. The final lock.

Her hand fell to her side, the pain ceasing. Alexander slumped in his manacles, barely able to breathe.

"It is done, my voivode," she said, dipping her head in respect. "He is now bound to you and your blood for all eternity."

"Good," a male voice said, his accent distinctively Slavic.

Nothing but darkness and death awaited those who looked into the eyes of the Voivode of Wallachia. Manipulating blood, the very essence of life, the Voivode could bend you to his will. Make your heart stop or have you slaughter your fellow soldier with a simple wave of his hand. Alexander had just become his puppet, his strings never to be severed. The emblem of a red dragon splashed across his armoured chest. He tilted his head towards the woman, whose nature was the same as his. Alina, his wife.
"And you assure me, my sweet that nothing can break this bond."

A slight pause.

"There is one thing but the dragon will never have it. Someone who will love both the beast and man in equal measure."

Alexander stilled, remembering Danika in his arms. Her gaze meeting his, filled with concern. Her touch tender on his mark. She cared for him, a beast....

The pieces clicking together.
Danika was his mate. The one person who could free him from his enchantment. His mate who would never want one side of him over the other. The one who he...let slip through his fingers.

He glanced at his hands. How? Why didn't he wake up in time? He could have leapt to his feet to close all distance between them. Held her in his arms and found a way to convince Danika to stay with him. Alexander briefly closed his eyes.
It hurt.

Distracted by his thoughts, he didn't see Silvio walked in and take the chair opposite him. The ambassador leaned back in his chair, his arm up on the chair's armrest. His thumb rubbing the middle joint of his index finger.

"You will be joining the Viscountess Salzburg for tea tomorrow at ten. It is non-negotiable, your Highness."

Alexander looked up at the mention of Danika's host. "Very well." Perhaps he could find out why Danika left.

"And the Thorpe Ball I presume you will not be attending."

"Correct."

"Arbor!" A gentleman called out.

Alexander didn't spare a glance his way as William walked in.

"Finally out of the doghouse then with Hattie," Lord Beacon said with a smirk.
William didn't notice the Prince of Muriel, his focus on his friends. His lips curved into a smile.

"Please gentlemen, I was never in any trouble. Granted I did bought her a bouquet of red roses to ensure I wasn't. No, simply I was catching up on what I was denied of." His tone of smugness.
Two of them clapped on William on the shoulder with a raucous cheer, causing Silvio to look over. His brows furrowing. He looks oddly familiar.

"Shame about the pretty one in pink," another lord said.
Alexander's glass paused against his lips.

"By the gods, she had a body you could bury your face in," someone commented. Nods of agreement.

The glass went down, his hand flat on the table. One look silenced the words on Silvio's lips, the other gentlemen had Alexander's full undivided attention.

"Indeed," William said, tapping a finger on his whiskey glass.

One of the gentlemen who had been with Lord Arbor at the ball spoke, "Calling her a harlot was a bit of a stretch there, William. She could barely string a sentence together without stuttering. Can you imagine her trying to seduce you."

Alexander got to his feet, his jaw clenched.

"Idiots," Silvio sighed, placing a hand under his chin.

A flicker of recognition in William's eyes before Alexander's fist connected with his face, wiping away all smugness. Wood splintered beneath his weight as the lord was thrown against a table. Men jumped out of the way. Two of Arbor's friends tried to intercept. Alexander grabbed one by his lapels and threw him against the shelves. Books raining down. The other lost his bravado and back off, cowering.

William's brain let out a string of frantic commands but his body refused to listen. Pain holding him down. Blood oozing down the side of his face. Alexander crouched down. William's terror reflected in the golden hue of the dragon's eyes.

"Oh how you will scream when I ripped your still beating heart out of your chest."

"No, please," William said, his voice a trembling sonnet of fear.

"Do something," a lord cried at Silvio.

The ambassador steepled his hands, not moving. "My duty is to protect the interests of my kingdom not to save a pathetic lord who chose to slander a good lady's reputation."

"Please, my wife is with child," William cried.

Alexander flashed him a vicious grin. "Then your job is done."

"No. Please."

William's pleas falling on deaf ears as Alexander dragged him by the leg to the door. Silvio got to his feet, his expression cold.

"Beware of the consequences that occur when you choose to speak ill of someone. Ever mention her again, you will not survive past by dawn," he warned, addressing the silent room.

"Wait," Silvio said, jogging after Alexander. His prince was standing by the arched entrance. His booted foot pinning William's skull to the floor. The beginning of a growl rumbling in his throat as Alexander looked at his ambassador.

"We don't know if Arbor here is a first son or the only heir and as much as you want to crush his skull."

William let out a terrified whimper.

"I do however wish to avoid an encounter with the Van Helsing line as Gabriel Van Helsing happens to be in London at this very moment," Silvio continued.

The rumbles of his growl grew louder at the mention of the supernatural hunting family. None would dare to take on Alexander in his dragon form but Silvio was a different matter.

Out of the corner of his eye, Alexander saw the Arbor's carriage.
A hard shove sent William flying into the footman's arms.

"If your thoughts ever turned to Danika again, I will kill you." Alexander's voice low and deadly.