17| The Car Thief

"How'd it go?" 

I sat Snow's cage down on the couch and opened the small metal door. Our new pet chittered with excitement before running across the furniture and heading straight to my mom.

"It went well," I answered. "She's officially up-to-date on her vaccines. Oh, I also checked for a microchip. Just in case. There wasn't one." 

My mom cradled Snow in her hands. "Well, that's good. I don't think Aria would have been happy if you had to return this little cutie to someone else." 

No, Aria wouldn't be happy. She was already very attached to Snow. Understandably, so. I never thought of myself as a cat person, but it was hard not to fall in love with a kitten as adorable as this one. And she seemed to love us, too. 

I fell onto the plush sofa and exhaled a tired breath. I glanced around the house. "Has Aria come back yet?" 

My mom shook her head. "No. But she went to see her family, right? I'm sure she's just enjoying herself." 

The last thing my mom said really rubbed me the wrong way. I may not know the 'whys' of it, but I knew Aria was having issues with her parents. I pulled my phone out of my pocket. 

"I'm gonna call her." 

I dialed her number and frowned when the call went straight to voicemail. 

I tried her number again. 

No luck. 

"Are you worried?" my mom asked, setting Snow down on the carpet. 

"I'm...not sure." A shiver went down my spine. But her phone was probably just dead. Right? She was fine. "I'll try one more time." 

Before I pressed the last digit of her phone number, my phone rang. But it wasn't her. 

"Trevor?"

"Hey, Micah."

I shared a look with my mom. It's been almost a year since I've seen or spoken to Trevor. "It's good to hear from you, but can I call you back? I'm kinda dealing with something right now." 

There was a loud noise in the background. The musical notification that someone hit a bullseye on a dart machine echoed through the phone. Then the crack of someone breaking the racked balls on a pool table. He was working at the bar. 

"That, uh, might be what I'm calling about. Did someone...steal your car?" 

My heart dropped. "Why do you ask?" 

"Well...a blonde chic rolled up in here in a car that looks a helluva lot like yours. And she kinda stands out." 

"A blonde? What is she doing?" 

A brief pause. "She's pretty smashed. Is she your girl?" 

"Yes—I mean, no. It's a long story. Shit. I'm coming up there. Wait, Trevor? Can you keep an eye on her for me? And take her keys." 

"You got it." 

I hung up the phone and jumped to my feet. "I gotta go, mom." 

"Take my car, Micah. Is she okay?" 

Just as I grabbed the keys off the hook, something dawned on me. "Shit. I can't take your car. Aria's been drinking and she can't drive. I'll just walk up there. It's not far. I don't want to wait for an Uber." 

My mom followed me to the door. "It's too cold, Micah! Please, just take an Uber." 

When I opened the front door, the brisk air and snow got sucked into the living room. I looked back at my mom. "I can't wait. I'll keep you posted."