Prologue

Long ago, the Aurorae polaris were not restricted to the poles. The dancing lights shone all around the world, over deserts, jungles, and tundras alike. Every night, our ancestors read the messages of wisdom and prophecy that the sheets of color left as they covered constellations and changed form. The shamans and healers of old could summon them and use the power of the spirits to guide the clans and heal injuries and illnesses. Spirit Warriors could use them to change form, or to gain strength or magical powers. Whenever the ancestors summoned the spirits, the veil between worlds grew thin, and an Aurora would appear.
However, as time passed, tribes became more lax, and they bragged of their own strength, forsaking the aid of the spirits. Only tribes in the harsh polar wilderness still relied on their power to survive the deadly winters, and even then, they rarely used it. The dancing lights vanished from the rest of the world, and the medial tribes lost the guidance of the spirits. A thousand years passed, and Tulugaak Nukilik Tulok was born to the Pissikartok Amarok tribe, the Singing Wolf, in the high northern mountains. 
As a boy, he loved to see the Spirits light up the sky, and hear the wolves sing to their dance. He watched intently on the rare occasions when the different leaders used magic to make fire from snow, or to open the ice to fish when it was too thick to break. He spent days with the healers as they mended the wounds of hunters who were injured in the wilds. When the Northern Lights lit up the sky at night, he watched the shapes of people and animals running through the colorful sheets, and he wondered at the marvels of magic.