Chapter 16 - Not Alone

Shock radiated on Kotaro's features, and I watched his mask slip out of place as he looked at me. His jaw went slack, and an emotion I didn't recognize flared to life in the depths of his dark eyes. My words seemed to have a strange effect on him, and he stared at me.

"I—" Bohai's voice drew my attention.

He looked uncertainly from Kotaro to me, obviously torn between what he must see as his duty and the command in my voice. I looked at him without wavering though I felt uncertainty stirring within me. Bohai was staring at me with such awe, and I felt like hiding my face from embarrassment, but I stood my ground, knowing that Kotaro's fate might well rest on this moment.

"Then leave him here." Bohai pressed his lips together as if he had just conceded a great deal, and it pained him.

The idea of following these strange men without Kotaro was alarming to say the least. If he didn't come along, neither would Ayan or Martimus, and though I would still have David, he likely knew nothing more about the Ninth—whatever that was—than I did. No, blindly following Bohai was not an option.

"He comes with me." I said with more confidence than I felt. Fear pushed any hesitancy I might have to the back of my mind.

"You don't understand." Bohai stuttered. "His kind are not welcome among the Ninth. We cannot accept him." He looked behind me contemptuously.

"Then—" I drew a breath. "I won't come with you either." I clenched my fists to hide my trepidation.

Bohai frowned, and I half expected him to order his men to tie me up and carry me off. Since he had confirmed my identity, however, he seemed almost reluctant to touch me. The muscles of his jaw moved in and out as if he were considering the repercussions of doing what I wanted. Another glance at me seemed to inform him how very serious I was and that I wouldn't give in no matter how much he tried to persuade me. He cleared his throat, heaving a sigh.

"Bring him." Uttering the words almost seemed to cause him physical pain.

"Bu—" One of the men started.

"It's her." Bohai said. "We've waited too long to let something like a law get in our way."

His voice was firm and resolute. Now that he had made his decision, there seemed to be no turning back, and I began to breathe again without realized I had stopped. Putting on such a show was exhausting, but I dared not think about what the consequences would have been if I'd done nothing.

Bohai barked a string of orders that were either spoken too fast for my brain to register or in a language I couldn't understand. The warriors, however, seemed to know exactly what was expected of them and sprang into action. A group scaled the mountain, another collected the assortment of weapons, and a third herded Kotaro's men into a group, leaving Bohai, Kotaro, and me in a small cluster on our own.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed two of the men lifting David's unconscious form onto a makeshift stretcher. They moved with surprising gentleness which set my heart at ease. My relief allowed me to direct all my attention to the men who were still glaring fiercely at each other.

Behind me, I heard Kotaro get slowly to his feet, and Bohai turned away as if he hated the sight of the man he had intended to kill. I turned in the same direction as the first group of men reappeared leading what looked like an entire herd of beautiful horses. Bearing neither saddle nor bridle, the animals were sleek and well-muscled, but more astounding than that was their enormous size.

Bohai turned to me hesitantly and inclined his head respectfully. "You may ride behind me." It sounded like such an offer was an enormous privilege, but he didn't look me in the eyes as he spoke.