Chapter 39 - Weaknesses & Answers

A soft breeze fluttered through the yard, drying the thin sheen of sweat on my brow and brushing against my lips. I bit down on my lower lip to keep the memories from surfacing, but it didn't help. Honestly, I was going to remember that moment until the day I died.

Mentally, I slapped myself. That kiss hadn't meant anything. It had been born out of our need to prove to Kamon and the Second that we weren't telling them falsehoods. Of course, that was the only reason.

I cleared my throat and shook my head. Focusing was impossible, but I would pay dearly if Ayan wasn't pleased with the results. Rolling my shoulders, I clenched my fists and started over again.

"I should bring Kota out here to pay for his misdeeds. All my hard work has been for nothing after that little stunt he pulled." Ayan snorted, confirming my thoughts that he wouldn't find my efforts enough, but at the same time, I was too annoyed to feel any fear. "If he cared for either of us, he could have at least waited to kiss you until after you were finished training for the day."

"He doesn't care about me." I tugged at the ball of my nose and avoided looking at Ayan as Kotaro's retreating figure danced through my brain. "At least not beyond this whole mission thing."

The answering silence made me look up. Ayan's face was frozen, his mouth gaping. He looked like he wanted to scoff but was so dumbfounded he couldn't find the ability to do so.

"Doesn't—" His voice failed him. "What in all of Falea has given you that idea?!" He seemed to have recollected himself with the words, and he exhaled with exasperation. "The two of you need to stop talking to me, get your heads our of your backsides, and actually talk to each other—or take an honest look at one another. Hell, you're the one with the creepy second sight thing going on! Do you both need to get inside my head to see what I see? He just kissed you!"

Irritation welled within me. I simultaneously wanted to forget that kiss had ever happened and wanted to remember it until my bones had disintegrated into nothingness. Snorting, I continued attempting to run through my practice.

"Do you need more proof than that?" I could hear the eyeroll in his voice.

"I kissed him." I snapped, glaring at him.

"Oh?" Shock radiated across his expression, and then his eyes lit up. "Do tell." He wriggled his eyebrows, any seriousness he'd possessed disappearing into the void.

"I thought we were supposed to be practicing." I glared at him.

"That can wait. Trust me: this takes precedence." He smirked.

"It was nothing. We were just proving our story to Kamon." I hissed.

"Mmhmm." He folded his arms across his chest, obviously holding himself back from laughing.

I tried to focus once again, but now that Ayan had brought it up, my efforts were even more impossible. Instead of the feeling of Kotaro's lips on mine and the way he'd held me, however, all I could think of now was his broad back as he walked away from me.

"Why—" I started but quickly cut myself off. That was a question for Kotaro, and I would ask it sooner or later.

"Yes?" Ayan looked at me expectantly.

"Why did he act like he was in pain?" An abrupt subject change. That was good. Besides, a part of me was curious about the answer, but in all honesty, it was one of the last things on my mind at the moment.

Ayan looked at me in surprise. "You really don't know?"

"Would I ask if I did?" I said shortly.