007

7.

Once Mags was set and ready to rest, Finnick made his way back to Kyra, taking his own trident from her hands and sticking it into the ground.

Kyra had never held a trident before, she hadn't even seen someone besides Finnick use that kind of weapon.

Even though there were no complaints, the girl had to admit that she hadn't been expecting him to hand it to her, but she guessed it was safer than to just leave it laying around.

Finnick trusted her with it. He knew that Kyra would never purposely harm him or Mags. In the worst case scenario where she decided to use it against him he would simply let her, but he was confident that that wouldn't happen.

He grabbed her arm without a warning to get a better view of the damage.

It was not bleeding anymore but it did look quite bad, it was definitely going to leave a scar. There was also a constant burning sensation from her sweat dripping over it.

"How are you feeling?"

"I told you I'll be fine. It doesn't even hurt anymore," she lied. Finnick raised an eyebrow and acted as if he was going to squeeze her arm again. "Don't you dare."

Finnick laughed and that caught Katniss' attention, immediately snapping her head into their direction. His whole body stiffened, and he maintained eye contact with Katniss as he took his trident out of the dirt. The tension was undeniable and Kyra was genuinely afraid those two would start a fight. If needed, who would she choose to protect?

Later that day, they devoured some fruit that Katniss received in a parachute from Haymitch on her walk to secure the area. There were enough so that each one of them ate. Kyra couldn't quite place the name of the fruit but she remembered clearly eating them as a child. The fruit turned sour in her mouth from the memory but she forced herself to keep chewing since it was either that or pass out from dehydration.

Caoba would be so proud right now, she thought.

They were dispersed by now. Peeta and Katniss were a little bit further away but close enough to still keep an eye on them. Finnick was a bit far away as well, laying in a log, sharpening his trident with one of Kyra's knives he borrowed, so Kyra stood with Mags.

The conversation started when the girl asked Mags if she wanted her piece of fruit. The answer was no, but Mags beamed at her, happily telling her a story about how those fruit were considered a luxury when she was a child. Finnick smiled to himself. He had heard that story multiple times.

One topic lead to another and they ended up talking about Kyra's childhood. She knew that Mags meant no harm so she tried her best to not be rude and just make conversation. At some point, the chat turned from casual to deeper stuff. Even when Kyra refused to discuss it, it was as if she had no control over her words.

"When I was little I was afraid of the hydroelectric dam, everyday I thought that a monster was going to come out of there and eat us," she laughed bitterly. "Until one day my parents told me about how that thing gave power to everything. "

There was a pause, Kyra waited for Mags intervention but it never came, as if guessing there was more to the story. So she continued, the girl couldn't recognize her own voice, like somebody else was telling the story.

"They used to say 'Power runs through your veins'," her voice trembled as she traced her wrist with her finger. "You have nothing to be afraid because you are made of power."

The remembrance was so intense she could hear her parents say it to her. For a second she doubted her surroundings.

"That phrase got me through my games," she admitted.