008

8.

They were all left panting in the ground, little whimpers and cries of pain were heard amongst them. Kyra had been the only one that hadn't been touched by the fog so it was easier for her to get up, Katniss followed shortly after.

"The water helps," Katniss said.

She submerged into the water and Peeta copied her actions. They were very vocal about the distress they were going through.

Kyra went to help Finnick. He appeared to have some spasms so she took his hand. "Hey, we need to get you to the water, can you stand up?"

Finnick winced and shook his head. She looked over at Peeta, worriedly, and he didn't doubt to help her carry him down while Katniss went to pick up the weapons they had left behind.

Once they got him inside the water, Finnick squeezed Kyra's hands tightly as he yelled in pain, choking with some water he swallowed. Goosebumps spread over Kyra's skin over hearing the blonde.

After a while, it seemed that the pain stopped or at least reduced so Peeta went up to Katniss just to make sure she was okay, leaving them in an awkward silence as Finnick laid on the water, still holding her hand.

His eyes were closed shut and his nose was scrunched up in discomfort. Kyra wanted to say something, but she knew there were no words that could make him feel better.

With no warning, Finnick got up, not even giving her a second glance before going to take his trident from Katniss' hands.

She felt a pang in her chest but remained silent.

Kyra stood still for a while. She then looked down, noticing her suit covered in mud from rolling around in the dirt and getting into the water.

She sighed to herself as she began washing everything that was dirty while Peeta got some water besides her on a hollow piece of tree he found laying around.

The first thing she cleaned was her wound, holding back the need to whine from rubbing all the dirt it had. It was either that or let it get infected. The cut was mostly healed but she didn't want to risk it.

A couple of minutes later, Kyra looked over Finnick and Katniss. They were murmuring but she was able to hear the mention of Mags, and she couldn't hold her gaze anymore. Maybe if she looked back earlier she could've realized and could've help Mags. Anger and frustration started to build up inside her, she grabbed her wrist and squeezed tightly.

Some tears started gathering in her eyes so she looked up to stop them, seeing instead a pack of mutts surrounding them.

Her breath caught in her throat and she was careful to not move too suddenly. She looked over to Peeta to see if he had noticed the mutts as well, but his head was down, still pouring water. She then looked over Katniss and Finnick while she reached slowly for her vest.

The knife made a shink sound and that picked up Finnick's attention, quickly catching up to what was happening. He alerted Katniss too, who looked over Peeta with horror in her face.

Peeta was completely defenseless when the mutt growled at him so Kyra covered his back while he started backing up.

They all formed a circle; tense and waiting for any movement. Katniss muttered something about getting to the beach just before the mutts pounced at them.

Kyra was barely registering one mutt's attack when another one was already attacking her. They were completely feral, baring their fangs and screeching in their faces.

She was down to four knives so she had to let them get closer. On their way to the beach, the girl tried recovering some from the corpses of the mutts but she only managed to get a scratch on her back.