Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gem Higa © 2012

He laughed, until the sound filled the spaces and cracks with his pesky cadence. Its screech blared her eardrums, causing Leiv to wince every time the traitor reached that tenor. Though, after a few seconds of laughter, Jeo’s voice dropped an octave, turning serious. “You know, I only did what I thought was best.” He sounded distant, his eyes downcast.

“For you, maybe.” Leiv wrapped her arms around her body, digging her nails into the flesh underneath, trying to contain her anger.

He looked back up at her. “I never gained any sort of acceptance here – not even once. I was treated as an outcast, and as such, I grew distant.” He ruffled his dark walnut hair, the scruffiness making him appear completely innocent. “Even after winning the arena games, I was called a snake. Just because I found another way to win the battle, I was punished for it. Even my father ignored me. I was the bastard son who he had been forced to painstakingly raise. Was it really my fault I was born out of such unfortunate circumstances? Or that my father couldn’t keep his trousers tied?”

Unsure how to answer, Leiv broke their gaze and stared at the far wall. The story seemed to have some merit, but it didn’t change his past actions, making him who he was today. His treachery was what had gotten her stuck in a prison in the first place.

Undeterred, he continued on despite her silence. “You have no idea what it feels like to be an outsider. To have everyone merely waiting for you to make a mistake so their assumptions about what type of person you supposedly are become true.”

At his last his words, she closed her eyes. The words coming out of his mouth stirred raw emotions that were long since kept back. What Jeo failed to realize was she had her fair share of torment through the early years of training.

Preferring riding boots to dainty slippers and leather instead of silk made her the most peculiar girl in court. But to be described as ‘peculiar’ was not a word best associated with a nobleman’s daughter. Left on her own in a world ruled by male influences and with her father’s constant traveling, Leiv was left alone for most of her childhood to learn and fend for herself. In the end, becoming a blade’s apprentice was not ultimately Eli’s decision, but hers. Leiv no longer wanted to be the scared and vulnerable girl everyone saw; she changed her path.

Regarding him with distaste, she steeled herself from his infectious self-pity. “You speak of making mistakes and everyone’s assumptions of your character, yet you did nothing to change it.” Narrowing her eyes, she persisted. “There are things that you could have done to stop the endless torments, and many different paths that were available. But, instead, you chose to take the roughest course and show the people their deepest conclusions.”

Jeo tentatively raised his hands, positioning it for a slap, but quickly receded as he lowered his hand and held it tightly against his side. “Surely being a nobleman’s daughter has given you a fair share of adoration from those with high and low ranks. The blade had a seat in council, making you one of the kingdom’s most eligible ladies.” His searing gaze traveled across Leiv’s body, raking her skin with dark citrine eyes. They held an undercurrent of peach between the layers of brown.

Growing frustrated with his innate ability to babble, she ignored all prior conversation and pushed straight to her lingering question. “So, what are you really doing here Jeo? I’m sure it’s not just to pay me a friendly visit.”

“I’m here to barter with you,” he replied coolly.

“You have my friends, what makes you think I have anything left to trade?” Leiv’s words were full of spite, her tongue no longer able to stay frozen.