Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Gem Higa © 2012

Come down dragon.

The small figure flying in the sky made a quick decent towards the earth, breaking wind. It opened its wings and flapped until his claws touched the soil beneath. It looked at his queen expectantly.

Breathe fire on everyone, but the barbarians. Keep the hordes away while we deal with the remaining lot here.

Yes, my queen.

Just as it was told, the dragon blew a curtain of fire all around and forced many of them to retreat. Those who weren’t so lucky to get out were severely burned and were claimed dead on the spot.

When Leiv had taken down half a dozen men on her own, a hand clamped down on her shoulder causing her to draw fire once more. She promptly turned and stared into familiar copper eyes. Like her, Eli was dripping in sweat and blood, but that didn’t stop father and daughter from embracing one another. Both were practically on the verge of sobbing, but the cry of war kept them in check.

“Where is the rest of our group?” Leiv looked at his dirt-streaked face.

“Karmine and Deklan are amongst the barbarians, fighting.”

“Hana and Kenji?” Her voice was full of concern as she spoke of the two weakest members of their troupe.

“Kenji had to take Hana away from the fight, it was all too much for her to handle.”

She looked at her father’s sword. “They let you have a weapon?” Incredulity stained her voice.

Fierceness shined through his eyes. “They couldn’t stop me even if they tried. And right now, I don’t think they would try.” Humor lilted low tenor.

“Good point.” An incoming soldier tried slashing at them, but not before her father completely slammed into him with the hilt of his sword, turning the man unconscious.

“Good hit.” She nodded in approval. “But now, how do you think the king’s men found this place?”

“I suspect a traitor is among their numbers.”

“What do we do now?” Another soldier sliced at them, but Leiv punched him at the base of his throat, where the armor left him exposed as he quickly crumpled to the floor clutching his neck.

Eli nodded and smiled, continuing. “Fight. That’s all we can do.”

“Watch out!”

A tall, lanky soldier attempted to swing at them, but Leiv was able to push Eli out of the way, remove the bow from her torso and shoot the man with one of her arrows. He went down with a thud as her father thanked her. There were only a few soldiers left on their side, while the rest of them stayed far away from the dragon who stood sentinel a few feet away. The men refused to come down the path and brave the beast’s awaiting fire.

Now, they were at a complete stalemate. None of the sides refused to move ahead, locking them into a winless battle.

From their throngs, a muscular soldier stepped forward. On his cloth, which overlaid the heavy armor, emblazed the insignia of a commanding officer. “What are you waiting for?” He yelled to his men. “We have our orders!”

No one moved.

“Stand down, commander!” She yelled, now beside the dragon.

“We most certainly will not! We are the distinguished soldiers of Orakrest and we have our orders.”