The Black Cat

• Dedicated to My Old Cat, Chloe

        You know that thing where if you walk past a black cat, it's considered bad luck? Well, pfft, I've heard those words since I was little, and every time I walk past a black cat, nothing bad happens! Until one day... I find a very interesting cat. And it was black.. with an orange spot around it's left eye. And this cat, brought me some very good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                                         CHAPTER ONE

          I was sitting on my bed, beside my best friend Manreet. But, I call her Manny for short. "So, what do you wanna do now, Em?" Manreet asked. "How about we go for a short walk up to 7-11? We could get some candy there?" I suggested, hoping she would say yes because I was really feeling like having a slurpy, even though it was cold outside. "Um, okay!" Said Manreet.

        We went outside and I locked the door, and then we started heading toward the store. I loved going for walks at this time of fall because the wind blew through my hair, and the cold air hit my face. The rustling noise in the trees was so gentil, and I watched as orange, brown and red leaves fell off from the trees.

        As we walked on the sidewalk, cars passed by us so fast. I got this weird feeling in my stomach, and I thought I was going to puke, as we got closer to the store. "Are you okay?" Asked Manreet. Manreet was always there when I needed her. "No, I'm fine." I said, trying to put a smile on my face. I heard some noises in front of us, but I couln't figure out what it was. It's probably just the trees, I thought to myself. But I was wrong.

        "Wait, do you see that thing in the tree?" Asked Manreet, suprised. I saw something with a tail, and it was black. "It's a cat. A black cat." I said to Manreet. " Yeah, a black cat! We can't walk past it, it's bad luck!" Oh my gosh, I thought, It's just a black cat in the tree, it's not bad luck. No black cat is bad luck! "Manny, it's just a cat."

        As we got closer to the cat, it jumped from the tree and landed in front of us. Manreet almost tripped over it, and then she was standing behind it. "Oh gosh, I went past the cat.." Manreet said, with a shocked look on her face. "So what. Look, the thing is so cute!" I said, as I stared at the cat. It was black with a few orange spots on her fur, and orange around her left eye. I bent down and stretched my hand out for it to smell my fingers and let me pet it. And then something strange happened. The cat didn't smell my hand.. it talked!

 "Don't touch me." The cat snarled.

"Did that thing just talk?!" Shouted Manreet. "Uhh, I- I- I'm gonna go home.." Manreet stuttered and ran.

        I was speechless. The cat talked. Then, my best friend ran home. What in the world was going on!

        "Ha, your friend just left you. Aren't you going to go after her?" The cat giggled. "Well, not until I find out what's going on!" I shouted. "Fine, I'll tell you what's going on. I am here to give you good luck. I am here to help you live a wonderful life, and to make you successful." The cat said gently. "That can't be true," I said, "You're just a talking black cat!" the cat gave me a shocked look when I said that. "I must stay with you. You cannot make me leave," The cat snarled. " I am basically you're conscience. I tell you what's right, and what's wrong. I'll help you when you need me. I'm always by your side." Said the cat. "My name is Chloe." She said. "And, I believe you are Emily." Wow, the cat knew my name.

        "Um, I'm going to go home now.." I said to the cat. "I'm coming." Chole said. The cat waved her tail, and everything was glowing for a moment. "There. Now only you can hear me, and see me." She said. "Um, alright." I said, shocked.

        We started heading back home, and Chloe came with me. That was the weirdest day of my life.