Chapter 2

Hearing Jack's traitorous words made Skye look over towards the man she thought was supposed to be trustworthy. These teams were made where everyone would have each other's backs. This was supposed to be some kind of "nobody gets left behind" team. What a funny lie that was.

Her eyes immediately dipped down to the slight glimmer in the dark that was resting nonchalantly in his hands. A sly smile couldn't help but creep across her initial deadpan face, a low laugh starting to escape her lips that only grew as she realized what situation they were in. "Excuse me? I'm sorry, but who the fuck do you think you are?" Skye's words managed to get out, the last remnants of her smile turning to a smirk that was barely visible in the shadows of the night.

The confidence that Jack had previously wavered for a second as confusion filled his brown eyes. For a split second, his held out arm lowered just slightly from her response. He had a gun pointed at her and she didn't even care. "Are you fucking dumb? I said hand over the file!" Jack quickly put his front back up, trying not to let her cocky behavior get to him. "I'll shoot you if you don't!"

"Promise?" Skye hummed innocently with her voice laced with doubt and a light chuckle, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Go ahead and pull the trigger then, dumbass. I have no reason to give it to you. To be honest with you, Jack, you're a waste of not only my time, but my breath."

Skye's indifferent but smug reaction only fueled Jack's frustration. His hand tightened on the grip of the gun, his finger readjusting on the trigger as his jaw tightened. God, it would be so satisfying to just pull that trigger. To wipe that smirk off her face and see her body fall back. To see the life drain from her body and take the files for himself.

He knew Damian wouldn't be an issue. Hell, he was only on this assignment for the money and pretended to not notice the commotion. He kept walking to get his payment, the greedy bastard. According to his information, he knew Skye and Damian had some issues between them that would prevent him from caring about her current situation. Elliot may be an esper, but he couldn't even walk on his own, much less use his powers. Nothing was stopping him...So why was his gut telling him not to?

"Lucas...Hill, am I correct?"

The second those words left her mouth, his body stiffened as a knot formed in the pit of his stomach. His lips parted for a mere moment as if to speak, but he fell silent, simply staring with wide eyes in shock. The grip he had on the gun immediately loosened in shock, "H-how-"

The moment she saw his reaction, Skye tried to hold back her snicker, shaking her head as a soft laugh managed to escape. "Mr. Hill, I'm not the moron you may think I am. You may look at me and just see a shifter that managed to get this assignment off of some dumb luck, but I can assure you, I'm much more qualified than you could even imagine." There was a light hint of humor in her voice at his surprised reaction.

"Let's see...what was her name again? Perhaps you could refresh my memory. Shoulder length light brown hair, blue eyes, pale skin, a tattoo of a flower behind her ear..." Skye trailed off, glancing to her side towards Elliot, silently checking on him and seeing him doing much better now that some time had passed. With a slight nod from him, she knew he was good enough to stand on his own. With one of her arms slipping out from under his shoulder, she tucked both of her hands into her leather jacket's pockets before continuing. "She was some trust fund kid? She sure did sound like a nice girl. Mind refreshing my memory and reminding me what happened to her?"

Memories flashed through Jack's mind, his arm limply falling down to his side, his tightened grip on the gun becoming nonexistent as it slipped out of his fingers. "Lilly..." The backstabbing man who was now exposed as Lucas whispered. There was a light clattering noise as the gun fell onto the asphalt of the secluded street they had managed to escape to.