Chap. 1: Don't Be Selfish

• (above) don't we remember this face??? 😂😂😂

The city and port of Seattle is dark, stormy. Thunder rolls in the distance, bright lightning striking across the sky. Echoes of the pouring rain hitting the rooftop of Langton Manor can be heard throughout the house. The servants and the butler, Harold, quickly prepare the house for the arrival of the Langton-Mayhew clan.

             The delicious smell of spaghetti and garlic bread travels down the hidden hallway to the utility room. Nineteen-and a-half-year-old Wesley Langton stands at the door, peaking through the crack. The smell of his favorite dish makes his stomach growl. He licks his chops, imagining the mouth watering flavor.

Behind him is Ellie Davis, the daughter of the Langton's faithful maid, Estelle. The blonde paces the floor as she tries to keep herself together both emotionally and mentally.

"I can't be. I just can't be!" Ellie puts her hands over her face, leaning against the dryer. "We used a condom! God, my mom would kill me if she found out I was pregnant."

"Don't be so selfish. What about me?" The young man rolls his eyes, "If my parents find out that I knocked up the help's daughter, they'll disown me!"

Ellie stares at Wesley hard, looking down at her shoes with hurt feelings. "What will we do?"

"Oh no, no!" Wesley turns to her, nervously chuckling. "There is no we, okay? There's only you. Not we. Not me and you. Just. You. Kapeesh?"

"I thought you said you loved me?" Ellie narrows her brows, her heart breaking.

"I never said shit." Wesley rolls his ocean blue eyes in annoyance, gagging. "You were the one babbling that mumbo jumbo crap."

"What am I supposed to do then if I am?" Ellie crosses her skinny arms, arching her brow high.

The sound of glass plates clattering in the distance makes the two young adults jump. Wesley puts a hand on his chest, taking a breath.

Wesley glances over his shoulder at Ellie. "Just get an abortion like a normal girl in your situation would do."

Ellie stomps her foot, her mouth and blue eyes gapping open. "Oh my God!"

"Shh! Keep your voice low!" He hisses at her, "How much time is left?"

Emily looks at her wristwatch to see that fifteen minutes had passed. With trembling hands, the blonde grabs the pregnancy test that rest on the washer. She quickly grabs the box, reading the instructions once more. Wesley turns and gives her an annoyed expression.

"Well? Are you knocked up or not?" He quietly hisses at her.

Tears begin to escape down Ellie's cheeks, a smile scratching across her face. She sets the used pregnancy test and it's box down on the washer, covering her face with her hands.

"It's negative!" She softly cries with joy.

Wesley's broad shoulders loosen with relief. He looks back at the hallway. "Good, because I'm never having kids as long as I can help it. Especially not with a blonde."

"Excuse me?" Ellie cuts her eye at the young man, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"That means you're not my type. Give me a dark skinned chick with a nice rack and an ass you can bounce quarters on." Wesley bites his lip at his thoughts, "I'd tap that."

"From what I hear, you'll tap any girl who you can fool with your goofy smile." Ellie glares daggers at him, her small nose scrunching up.

"Fooled you, didn't I?" Wesley sticks his tongue out at his own joke.

"You're disgusting." The blonde marches toward the exit door, shoving Wesley aside. "I'm out of here."

Wesley stands watching the utility room door swing. He cracks a smile at his own thoughts.

"I gotta call Destinee Washington." He softly chuckles as he cooly walks out of the utility room.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

The Lord of the house, Charles Hubert Langton, hides in the darkened living room that is only lit by the roaring fireplace. Dressed in a creamy white knit sweater and dress pants, Charles sits cross-legged in his red velvet, Victorian chair. A fresh glass of whiskey on ice is clutched in his hands. His beady green eyes watch the flames as they brightly dance in the fireplace. He takes a sip of his glass.

         A creaking sound catches his attention, but Charles doesn't care enough to turn to see what had make the creak like sound. Another creak causes his heart to slightly quicken its pace. He waits a few minutes in silence before turning his head to the side.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Charles squints his beady eyes squinting at the darkened room. "Answer me! Who is there?"

"It is just me, sir." The familiar sound of Harold's voice reliefs Charles.

"Well, why didn't you just say so? Did you want to give me a scare?" Charles quickly downs his glass of whiskey, crunching the ice. "What? What do you want?"

A loud thunder roars, shaking the mansion. Charles closes his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. He lifts his empty glass, immediately being taken by Harold. Bright lightening lights the up the darkened living room.

"The Langton-Mayhew clan has arrived, sir." Harold explains accordingly, "Mrs. Langton has requested that you and the children come to dinner."

               "Blast!" Charles shakes his head in agitation, "I'd like to go one week without having to deal with my brother, his devil of a wife, and my damn sister, Marie!"

                 "Don't forget the cousins, sir." Harold reminds his boss, "Emily came with her two illegitimate children again. And even after you shunned them."

                   "Great! And let me guess, Linda's sister Margaret as well? And her imbecile of a husband! That damn Richard!" Charles rubs his face, "Tell them I will be there in a moment. Harry, I really hate my family."

            "Not to offend you, sir, but I too hate your family as well." Harold nods to his boss before walking away.

              Charles shakes his head and rubs a hand over his facial goatee. "Damn relatives!"

Hey readers! SURPRISE! I randomly got this idea and I HAD to start writing immediately. What do you think so far? I will be telling Lane's story (or at least his true origin story). Do you think this was a good idea? No? Give me your thoughts down below! Have a good day my Lovlies ❤️🙏🏼