Paris Take Two

The Tiva reunion we never saw

The plane bounced in the heavy turbulence, but Ziva never noticed. Her fingers were clasped around a small necklace. Tali had picked it out for her in a small market. Ziva closed her eyes and settled her thoughts as negative thoughts and anxiety came rushing back.
"Ma'am? Are you alright?" A flight attendant asked.
Ziva looked up and gave a tight smile. "I am fine."
"Anything I can get you? A pillow? Blanket?" She asked.
Ziva looked around at the sleeping passengers around her. "Do you have a pad of paper?"
The flight attendant nodded and brought Ziva a pad of paper and a pen. Ziba thanked her and set to work, writing her feelings down. Jack Sloane had mentioned it to Ziva as a coping mechanism before Ziva left. Ziva paused as the pen flew across the page. She looked out the window into the starlit sky.
"So where are you going?" A voice made her jump.
The woman who was sitting next to her was smiling. Ziva gave a small smile back.
"I'm going to Paris to see my family," Ziva said softly.
"That's so cool! I'm just going for a visit," the lady replied. "So immediate family, boyfriend?"
Ziva shook her head. "It's complicated. I'm going to see my daughter and," Ziva paused as she looked for the right words.
The lady waited patiently, her curiosity peaked.
"He and I never officially dated, but we, uh, we loved each other," Ziva's voice carried a hint of sadness.
"What happened? If I may," the woman asked.
"We only had one night, but I never told him I was pregnant. He found out when he thought I was dead, then my Tali was brought to him." Ziva stared into the dark night, the turbulence beginning to cease.
"That's a very complicated story," the woman agreed. "How long will it have been since you saw your daughter?"
"4 years." Ziva did not hesitate.
The lady did not ask anymore questions and left Ziva in her own thoughts. 4 years. The number whirled around over and over again in her head. Ziva counted every day she was separated from her precious little girl and her beloved Tony. Every birthday or holiday, Ziva would wonder if she would ever see them again.
Tony. That man would never give up. He tracked her into Cairo and found her. Ziva had been shocked to see Tony and Tali, but she did enjoy the two days they had together. It reminded her what she was fighting for and she knew that that love would keep her going until she could be reunited with them forever.
Now she would be with them forever. So why was she so nervous. Ziva rolled the necklace in her fingers, just like Tali used to. She was scared that she was not the same person she once was. Once she was strong, independent and could face anything without blinking an eye, but now, now she was not sure what might break her. Is she broken? Can Tony fix her? Can anything fix her? Will Tali remember her?
Ziva closed her eyes as the thoughts hailed in her mind. She needed to calm down, but the only thing she could ever do to calm down was to either sing, go to the gym or just walk around. Ziva was trapped by the window by the woman who spoke to her and another man. Both of them were sound asleep. Ziva closed her eyes and waited for the torment to come.

"Ima!"
"Tali!"
"Ima!"
Ziva fought her way through the flames that licked the walls. She jumped back as a beam fell, but she slid through the flames, patting out the places her clothes were singed with falling embers. Tali's room was in a corridor untouched by the blast. The mortar fire did not destroy the house on contact, but rather began burning the house that was made from wood.
Ziva fought as she knew that this attack was against her. Tony had warned her to keep her eyes peeled when he visited. He said that Benham Parsa was gunning for Gibbs' team. Ziva opened the door and closed it quickly.
"Ima." Tali leaped off her bed and into Ziva's arms.
Ziva held her baby girl, but in that moment, Ziva knew what needed to be done. Tali did not speak much, but Ziva knew she was smart and could understand English.
"Tali, listen to me very closely." Ziva sat Tali on the bed. "I have to go. The bad men are coming for me. This is how you'll be safe. Orli will take you to your father."
Tali whined and cried as she reached back towards her mother. "No, Ima!"
Ziva grabbed her daughter and held her tightly. Ziva snatched the photo of her and Tony in Paris and slid it into the "to-go" bag. Ziva peeled herself from Tali and gave her cheeks a kiss. Tali squealed as Ziva shoved her under the blankets and raced from the room.
"Ima!"

Ziva jolted awake as the seatbelt light went on. Once she had buckled her seatbelt, she looked out to see the morning sun shining on the Eiffel Tower. Ziva took a deep breath and gripped the arm rest, calming the anxiety that was inside her.
"You're family will be happy to see you," the woman next to her said gently.
Ziva looked at her with a soft smile. She knew that Tony understood somewhat of her predicament, but did Tali? Of everyone Ziva was worried about, Tali was the top. She was only two when Orli brought her to Tony. Ziva had watched her daughter from a distance for Tali's whole life, but now that they could be together. . . Could they become a normal family.
Ziva's lips turned upwards into a smile as she thought about what Tony would say.
"Do we look like a normal family to you?" Ziva could hear Tony's voice in her mind.
Ziva reached up and found her carry-on satchel. Ziva always traveled light, but with the previous endeavors Ziva only had one bag. They only held a coat, a few shirts and a couple pairs of pants. Ziva draped her cardigan over her shoulder and ran a hand through her hair. Her anxiety began to rise as she became caught in the middle of the crowd of offboarding passengers.
Ziva scooted her way to the edge as they unloaded, pushing her anxiety away. She was about to see her daughter for the first time in nearly four years and she was only focused on Tali. Ziva exited into the terminal and searched. Tony had texted her to say that they would meet her in the airport. Ziva was looking around for the familiar face of Tony and Tali.
"Ima!"
Ziva whirled around as she saw a small caramel blonde head bursting through the other people. Ziva's eyes filled with tears as she crouched down. Ziva unloaded her arms of her possessions as Tali barreled into her mother's arms. Ziva let out a sob as she held Tali close. Tali's small cries echoed in Ziva's ear.
"You're so big!" Ziva choked out, pulling away to cup Tali's face in her hands.
"I'm almost six," Tali said proudly.
Ziva grinned as she wiped a tear from Tali's cheek. Ziva's eyes flickered to the shoes that stood in front of her. Ziva stood up, a hand still on Tali's head. Tony stood stiffly, trying to hold in the overwhelming emotion. Ziva advanced.
"I'm sorry. You were not supposed to get hurt, but you still did-"
Ziva was cut off by Tony's arms wrapping around her. Ziva closed her eyes, more tears rolling down her cheeks. Tony breathed deeply, but Ziva could hear the rattle in his voice as he spoke.
"You protected us, just like you always have," Tony said emotionally.
Ziva released the breath she was unaware of holding. Tony pulled away and cupped her cheek. He pulled her close, his lips brushing hers. Ziva felt that familiar current up her spine and had not realized how much she craved his kiss. Ziva wrapped her arms around Tony's neck, pressing her lips closer.
"Ima," Tali said, pulling on Ziva's shirt, "Ima."
Ziva pulled away and crouched down to Tali. Tali rooted around in her backpack and pulled out a cd.
"Abba and I made this for you." Tali passed Ziva the disc. "He said it would help."
Ziva smiled through tears as she read the title.
To Ima: All the DiNozzo secrets, memories and jokes.
Ziva kissed Tali's forehead and gave her a hug. "Thank you."
Ziva's eyes traveled down to Tali's neck. The familiar gold chair and pendant brought back memories, both good and bad. Tali noticed and rolled it around in her fingers.
"Abba said it was yours." Tali's eyes brightened as she reached for Ziva's necklace. "You still have it!"
Ziva nodded. "I never took it off."
"Alright DiNozzos! Off to the café," Tony announced grabbing Ziva's satchel.
"I'm hungry!" Tali said excitedly. "C'mon Ima! You'll love it."
Ziva walked out hand in hand with her daughter and beloved. For the first time in a long time Ziva was happy. For the first time in years, Ziva never once looked over her shoulder.

Tada! Sorry about publishing it unfinished.