25: Too little, too late

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hey, lovelies! In future reference, I apologize for keeping Nate out of a few of the chapters! Trust me he's back and a lot more with him will be done as the book ends! There's gonna be a lot of things that different shippers don't want exactly, but in the end, things will be great! Later I'll have a few more announcements when the book finishes. Okay, let me stop blabbing, have fun reading! - love, Mallie!

-

As soon as we arrive my heart beats faster as we pull into the drive-in. I look at the house, which is a lot different than his family's. Looking down a little I look at my phone, and back at the door. "If you wanna go back to my place we can. You can wait for this." Damon says. I shake my head no before biting down on my bottom lip. "No, I need to do this. If I don't I'll just start holding off on it." I quickly open the door before glancing at him again once before walking up to the doorstep.

The house was a bit smaller than the last. It was still large, but not as large as I would've assumed. It was a lot more modern and dark. The windows were large enough to see inside of each floor of the house, and the house was surrounded by trees and silence. I hesitantly began to knock. As the door opened and a small parting between my lips showed. "Hey." I forced myself to say. 

He looked at me as if he'd seen a ghost, I don't blame him I would've acted the same way if I randomly showed up at his doorstep. "Leah." He said. Awkwardly standing there, I brush my hair out of my face. "Glad you remember my name...Given you haven't exactly reached out since I've been back. I would've assumed you forgotten about me." I scoff softly, lowering my head as I try to brighten to mood. 

He sighs before stuffing his hands into my pockets. "Yeah uh, I just needed some time. I didn't exactly expect you to wake up anytime soon since you've been in your whole sleeping beauty phase for three years." His tone getting a bit more aggressive. "Glad to know you weren't waiting around," I said sarcastically. "Can you blame me? What guy wants to spend a handful of time hoping for the girl he loved to wake up. I hear that you have amnesia, but I'm hoping you didn't forget that I'm not that guy." 

Clenching my jaw a little, I finally gain the guts to look him in the face. How could he say these things? I mean he's always been an asshole but somethings different. "So what you just gave up? Moved on with your life?" I ask with pain in my voice. He remains quiet, but his face says it all. "Nate," I call out. "Yes, Leah I did. As much as that may be of a shock to you, I did, or at least tried to." The tears sting my eyes, and my heart practically falls out of my chest. 

"How can you say these things? Did I mean nothing to you? After everything, you and I have been through? You just moved on." My voice breaks with each word that comes out of my mouth as I take a step forward. "What was I supposed to do?" He strained. "It hurt, Leah. Okay, the night I got that bloody call everything inside of me died the moment Damon told me there was no telling you were going to wake up! I had hope that we'd have a future together! You and that square of an ex-boyfriend were done, and I had my chance, then all of that changed! I was by your side every day, hell I brought flowers! I talked to you, I prayed deep down that you would come back to me. Then I realized, I couldn't wait by your side because seeing you that way destroyed me. I finally took a page from your book and realized that you would want me to be happy. So I stopped sending flowers, and I stopped my visits, now here I am." 

At this point, I'm in full-on tears, the shock rests on my face and I can't help but feel a bit of guilt Like this was all my fault. I was a constant reminder of all of the things he lost, and all of the pain he felt since I've been gone. "Earlier you said loved, as in past tense. Tell me this, do you feel the same way you felt for me all that time ago?" I ask Nate. With how this conversation is going, I wouldn't expect a good answer from him. He looks down once again, "Don't do this Leah." He mutters. 

I take another step forward, lifting up his face before cupping his cheek. "Please Nate, I need an answer. For godsakes anything." I delicately speak. Finally looking me into my eyes, his water up as he places his hand against mine. "I don't," He says. The tears stream down my face before I pull away my hand from his grip. "Since I woke up you were all that I thought about. You were the first person that I wanted to see. I've always loved you." I tell him. 

He laughs and rolls his eyes. "Please, don't you dare go there. After everything--" I paused him. "After everything I chose you! The night of my accident I was on my way to see you! After everything that I've gone through with you, when I found out the shit you did I was angrier at you than anyone else!" I say unable to control my tears. "Because I always expected you to be straight forward with me. That was the person you were. And you hurt me. It was always you, Nate!" I confess to him. 

He closes his eyes and clenches his jaw before looking at me again, "Yeah well, too little too late for that now isn't it?" His face only showed anger, but at that point beyond it, I didn't know. I didn't know him anymore, and that's what breaks me the most. "Hey! Nate? Where did you go-" The girl in the shirt says. As I look at her face, my stomach turns. "Madison?" I say. I look between her, and Nathaniel and my face goes blank. "Leah, I heard about your recovery--" 

"Don't." I quickly say to her. Regardless of how much time has passed amends aren't made. Not on my behalf. "I'll be back inside soon Mads. I just need to finish this." He tells her before she nods and flashes me a quick smile before leaving. 

"You piece of shit. Madison, out of all fucking people! Her? The fucking bitch who was the reason for all of that damn drama in the first place!" I shout at him. "You really feel like doing this? Right now, for fucks sake." He says while dramatically throwing up his hands. "How long?" I ask him, but as usual, he goes mute. "How fucking long Nathaniel!" I yell.

 "For about a few months now, trust me she's been good company." He gloats. I shake my head in disgust. "I should've never allowed myself to get anywhere near you, I shouldn't have loved you," I admit. Part of me is hurt, but I mean it, I wish I didn't. "Trust me, you aren't the only one who believes that." He says. I stare at him once more, before quickly turning off and making my way to the car, getting in. 

Damon looks at me before remaining silent and driving off. 

As soon as we make it back to Damon's apartment I quickly make my way to the bathroom, shutting the door behind me as I quickly grab onto the counter for stability, crying my eyes out. Not just because the guy I loved didn't just break my heart, but because he was with the one person that I partially blamed for what happened. I looked at myself in the mirror, full of anger. It raged inside me like hot lava. Without thinking I grab the scissors from the drawer and grab a handful of my hair, cutting it with no hesitation. I watch as the hair falls down onto the sink and the floor before throwing the scissors down as I continue my breakdown. I can't tell what hurts more, coming back or having to go through this.

-

Hey, lovelies! Ahaha, yeah I'm sorry for all of my Nate lovers but I promise things are gonna change! They've got to get worse before they're better right? Don't forget to follow my instas if you want to chat! If you have any suggestions about what I should add in the final chapters I'm all ears! Any cute scenarios I'm down to add! Until next time, - Love Mallie.

Writing Insta; siimplimallie

personal insta; layahhalanaa

snapchat; princesslayah6