30: Our time

After leaving Nate's house I felt some sense of closure. Our time wasn't right now, we both needed to get through a few stuff on our own before even considering getting together. It was the right thing to do. I promised I'd come over every now and then to see him and Kol mostly to check in every now and then and maybe even try the whole friend stage and see how that goes for the both of us.

He offered to give me a ride home but I felt like it would be a little too awkward to even sit in a car with him for so long. I had so much to say, but nothing that was good to hear at that exact moment. I took an Uber back to Damon's place, deciding it was best not to call him either.

I didn't exactly know what was going on between us, and that we were just fooling around because we both felt something, but I'm not exactly sure if we plan on taking it any further. I like him, and I know dating your bestfriend can end either good or bad. I guess that's why I haven't exactly questioned this, whatever we have going on because, I don't want to lose him.

"Hey," Damon said as I walked in, he was doing a few workouts it looked like given he was sweaty and wore a muscle shirt with a pair of shorts, "Did Mr. Lincoln drop you off?" He asked me.

"No," I said shaking my head before sitting my bed on the couch. "I took an Uber actually." I stood near the door awkwardly. I felt like he could see something was wrong but I wanted to not seem so transparent, It was impossible though.

"Why? You know I didn't mind picking you up right?" He said taking off the headphones and wiping his face with the towel that laid across the couch.

"Uh.." I lowered my head while tucking the hair behind my ear. "I was with Nate actually."

As I looked back up at him, Damon's face seemed to have just remained still. He slowly nodded his head at me, "Oh." Was all he could say in the moment. It's like I crushed him internally.

"Y-yeah," I began to stutter, "I saw Kol outside of the Cafe earlier today getting jumped by some kids and I drove him home." I tried explaining to him. Hopefully this made the both of us feel less shitty about everything.

"Shit is he okay?" He said.

"Yeah, He was just bruised and bloodied up in the face. Nate was more pissed than sympathetic of course."

Damon chuckled before walking past me to the kitchen, "Well that's Nate for you. Anger pumps through his veins."

He's not wrong about that.

I walk over to the kitchen with him, leaning into the doorframe while watching him.

"Mm, yeah. The two of us talked actually,"

Damon pauses for a moment before looking at me for a moment, soon turning away his head, "Really, that's nice I guess. What did you guys talk about?"

"Well, he apologized to me for everything, and asked me for us to give things another try.."

"Wow, that's..that's great. So I guess you're gonna work things out?" He sounded a bit, disappointed? His tone was so much lower and slower when he spoke.

"I told him no." I say looking directly at him as he looks up.

"Why?"

I shrug my shoulders. "We have a lot to work out. I have to get my life back, and I need to figure out what it is that I want in life before hopping into things again.." I explain.

"Right," He nods. "That's good that you're trying to think things through first."

"Mhm.." I reply, I don't exactly know what else to say right now. I know for a fact that my brain is fluttered with questions like "do you actually like me or do you just want to fuck me, or even, are we just distractions from our miserable lives, or are we more?" There was a lot more but for me to state those I'd need to create a list, and that would be a very fucking long one.

"What are we?" I force myself to let the words slip from my mouth. Damon looks at me with his lips parted before leaning his back against the counter, his arms folded across his chest, "I don't know. Call it a coincidence but I've been meaning to ask you that since we started fooling around.

"Why didn't you?" I ask. It's good to know that I wasn't so alone in my thoughts trying to understand this. We have casual sex, and we act like a couple when we're here but out there, we're two confused peas in a pot.

"I don't know, I figured that we were just messing around at first.." Damon runs his hand over the back of his neck, "I mean you know I have this thing for you and I figured it I asked, I'd fuck everything up."

"Damon..."

"No it's fine. I didn't care to put a label on it. Every moment I've spent with you felt like it was too good to be true, and I knew if I had asked we'd be having this conversation, so I didn't. I didn't want to ruin anything because I knew it I did I'd lose the best thing that's happened to me in a while." He admitted to me.

I smiled at him before sighing and walking over, standing across from him. "I didn't only tell Nate no because I wanted to just figure things out for myself. I said it because I needed to see where this was going, because since I've been back you've made me feel so alive in ways that I hadn't felt. The only reason I didn't ask because you're my best-friend, and I don't want to lose you. Plus," I lower my head, "I like you, a lot."

Damon stood there with a shocked expression on his face. I wanted to know what had been drifting through his mind, mostly because he was so unable for me to read.

"What about Nate?" He asked me. My love for Nathaniel is unimaginable, but for once I need to love what's good for me, and Damon is what's good for me right now. I would never abandon him, or Kol, but this is healthy for me, and when the time comes, we'll find our way back.

"I have to do what's in my best interest, and I know that if I don't do this it'll probably be something I'll regret forever, so I'm all in as long as you are."

His serious facial expressions turn into something lighter. He smiles at me, and nods. "Then I guess I'm all in as well."

I smile cheekily at him, unable to hide my excitement. "Wait you're serious?" I ask him, yeah I'm kind of in shock that this is happening.

He nodded, "As long as you are then hell yeah I am, all in remember?" He reminds me, his thumb rubbing along the back of my hand as he holds it.

"Yeah, but just promise we one thing?" I start. Damon tilts his head to the side as he continues to listen. "However this ends, this won't effect our friendship." I know saying that now might make it easy, but I really hope things just go smooth because we all know that with us, things tend to screw up.

He places his hand around the back of my neck while nodding, "I promise." He whispers to me and I believe him. He pushes me into his lips while he has a small grip on the back of my neck, our heads moving in sync with one another as he picks me up and places me on top of the countertop.

As we sit here making out on the counter, I realize in happy..

But Damon's not Nate.