impedimenta: [ii]

impedimenta (n): pl. things that hinder growth or movement

“Kate! Kate! Katekatekatekatekate!” Allie was running towards me, her coveted brown hair trailing out behind her. Her backpack was swinging from side to side as she dodged other students in the hall. “Kaaaaaatie cat!” I snickered as one of the boys in the hall bumped into Allie’s shoulder and the book she was holding fell to the floor. She bent to pick it up, and her hair swung down to shield her face.

“What?” Allie was a few feet away by then. She stopped, though, suddenly.

“Is that all I get?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. “After two weeks of not seeing you, that’s what I get?” I laughed, and dropped my bag to the ground to hug her.

“Ooh, your hair smells good,” I said. Allie looked at me for a second before laughing.

“Only you would say that,” she said. I shook my head.

“Nope. You’re forgetting about Varshy.” Allie rolled her eyes. I grabbed my bag from the ground and swung it on my shoulder.

“Oh, you can’t forget about that lovely girl,” she said, half sarcastic, half teasing.

“What did she call Darren the other day?”

“I think it was something like usagi.”

“Isn’t that the Japanese word for rabbit?”

“Who knows. It’s Varsh. Crazy girl.” We laughed, and bumped shoulders as we continued down the hall. Students were still pouring in through the front doors, and the main hallway was crowded with those trying to access their lockers and go to class. I sighed.

“Can you believe it?” I glanced at Allie, and our eyes met.

“I know. I mean, I still feel like a sixth grader sometimes, and that was two years ago,” Allie said, sighing.  I dunno. It’s hard to believe that we were in seventh grade last year.” We looked at each other again, and laughed.

“At least we don’t have Phillips anymore.”

“Urgh, I know, that woman was a witch.”

“What class do you have first?” Allie slapped my shoulder, and I glared at her. “Geez, Allie.”

“Your memory sucks,” she said. I rolled my eyes.

“Just tell me!” I whined, tugging on her sleeve. She slapped my hand away and stuck her tongue out.

“No.” I groaned.

“Fine. I’ll get someone else to tell me.” Allie smirked.

“Really, Kate? You can’t remember now?” We turned the corner, heading into the hall where my first period was with Mr. Jamesison. I stopped in the middle of the hall, trying to think. Allie had stopped with me and was looking at me, bemused.

“O-oooh.” I sniffed, ignoring Allie, and walked into the classroom. I heard Allie laugh behind me.

“Kate! Kate! Kate!” I scanned the classroom to see Kells waving at us. “Allie! Come over here!”

“Hey, Kate. How’s it going?” I saw Jace the same time Allie pushed me from behind to get me moving, resulting in me taking a huge step forward and almost crashing into Jace.

“Uh-um, haaai, Jace-“

“Awkward,” Allie whispered behind me. I jabbed her with my elbow, and turned bright red when I saw Jace smiling.

“I’m fine, how ‘bout you?” Allie blew on the back of my neck, trying to distract me, and I jabbed her again. I heard her quiet yelp before she stepped past me and headed to where Kells was.