Case1: Her Purpose

We have all seen the popular animated movie Robots created in 2005 by Blue Sky Studios of the Twentieth Century Fox franchise. The movie follows a robot young adult, Rodney Copperbottom trying to achieve his dream as an inventor by traveling to visit his hero, Bigweld  in Robot City. However to his disdain Bigweld has retired from his company and been replaced with Ratchet, a robot who is determined to wipe out outmoded robots or force them to buy brand new parts and upgrades. Upon meeting and befriending some of these outmodes and learning that he's the only one who can help them, Rodney makes it his mission to find Bigweld and help save robots from having to go broke or melt.
Now, where does Cappy come in?
The group of outmodes (Fender, Piper, Crank, etc.) have a purpose in revealing to Rodney the struggle that having no spare parts brings to most of Robot City's population.
Fender is there for comedic relief.
Ratchet and Madame Gasket are there to be the villains.
However Cappy is literally only in this movie to be Rodney's love interest. She does not move the plot along in the slightest.
There is literally no chemistry between the two other than Bigweld assuming that they are dating.
The two aren't compatible; Rodney is passionate about his work and his dreams, and although Cappy supports his dreams, she's just... there.