|35|

The following three nights were tough, and in those 72 hours, we were already running out of formula. I stayed up with the baby – feeding her, rocking her, changing her diaper, and, most importantly: getting up every two to three hours. I've been running on fumes and was desperate for a whole eight hours of sleep.

I opened my eyes, having been awake for a few minutes but not having the will to open my eyes, and looked down at the swaddled little girl next to me. I felt uncomfortable having her sleep anywhere else but next to me. She was close to the wall, pinned between me and the cold stone as a precaution. I know newborns can't roll over yet, but my brain went wild with all the possible ways she could get hurt. She was sound asleep, her chest rising and falling as she let out a little coo. This would be a good time to at least get some food in me before resuming my duty.

Gently getting up, I slipped on my boots and shot one last look at the baby—my anxiety already shooting through the roof. Tiptoeing down the stairs, I continued my silent trek toward the common area. Daryl was the first one I saw, his hands gripping a bowl of prepared stale cereal and condensed milk. He shot me a rare half-smile and handed the bowl to me, quickly murmuring how he was on his way to get me to eat. Daryl had set up a mattress by the perch, but he slept closer to my cell since the baby was born.

He even offered to stay up with the baby while I got some rest, which is why I could get some semblance of sleep. I thanked the man and perched myself against the wall, keeping an ear out for the baby while spooning the stale corn cereal into my mouth. The loud screeching of the barred door opening made me wince, worrying that the noise was enough to wake the baby.

"Everybody okay?" The gruff voice that belonged to Rick asked out. I turned towards him and frowned, his rough appearance hitting me hard. He's really going through it, but it's for the best. We need him at a hundred percent in the future.

"Yeah, we are," Maggie answered, her voice low. Rick scanned over all of us, his eyes pausing on me. I shoveled one more spoonful before gaining the courage to speak.

"How about you?" I asked, knowing it was the question on everyone's mind. Rick kept his eyes on me as if he were studying my every move.

"I cleared out the boiler block." He answered, his eyes finally lowering to look down at his son.

"How many were there?" Daryl asked, his mouth full.

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen." Rick murmured. He managed to clear all those walkers out by himself?! "I have to get back. I just wanted to check on Carl."

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies," Glenn spoke, rising to his feet to look at the dirty man. "You don't have to."

"No, I do." Rick snapped, his head shaking as if Glenn had just insulted him, and he was brushing it off. "Everyone has a gun and a knife?"

"Yup," I answered as I walked forward, my hunger suddenly gone. "Running low on ammo, though. Glenn and Maggie are going out this afternoon. Found a phone book with some places they could hit and look for some ammo and formula. We also cleared out the generator room, and Axel is down there now, trying to fix it in case of an emergency. Also, we're gonna hit the lower levels today." Rick looked at me, his eyes glazing over as he nodded rapidly.

"Good, good." He repeated as he walked over towards the cell door again. The door screeched again, my fears coming true as I heard the wailing cries of the baby.

"Shit." I groaned as I set my bowl on the table. I looked down at Carl, leaned over, kissed the top of his head, and whispered to him that he could finish my food if he were still hungry. I rushed back to my cell and grabbed the little girl, rocking her gently as I slowly climbed the stairs. She quieted down, her eyes wide open as she stared at my face. I couldn't help but smile at her, my heart swelling as I realized she looked a lot like Lori. She had Lori's eyes, her nose, and her eyebrows. I walked back into the common area and smiled at Glenn as he offered me his seat. Beth handed me a bottle she had made and smiled as we watched the little girl eat.