|45|

Three months. That's how long it's been since the former Woodbury community joined us. That's also how long the Governor has been gone – he gunned his people down and vanished into thin air. He's a coward and a murderer; he better stay gone if he knows what's good for him.

Rick and I tried the whole leading thing in those first few days, but we quickly learned it was too much. I mean, it was just us trying to lead around 55 people – no one can do that without a team, so we set up a committee of seven people to oversee the prison and make decisions. Taking such a massive weight off my shoulders was a relief, but I couldn't stay away. I found myself alongside Hershel, Daryl, Carol, Glenn, Michonne, and Sasha. Once in a while, Rick would join our meetings, but he mainly just listened, actively taking a backseat.

Other than the committee, we had to also figure out housing. It definitely helps that we're in a massive prison, so all we had to do was gather a group and clear out cellblocks. Well, that's easier said than done. I led one group into cellblock A, and Daryl led another into cellblock B. These two blocks were massively overrun with prisoners still rotting in their cages. I lost two of my twenty on the first day. Daryl lost three.

The people who joined us were inept at fighting off walkers, so it was a learning experience for them and an eye-opener for us. Some people had been at Woodbury since the beginning, so they never even came face to face with walkers. This community that merged with ours makes us much larger than ever. Kids, teenagers, and adults alike are now calling the prison home, and we're growing.

Trying to get to know everyone is an impossible feat, and hell, I'm still trying to put names on faces. Sometimes, I could be pacing around, trying to calm Judy, and some random man would approach me and start a conversation. Would I know his name? No, but I always let them speak. Oddly enough, I had become popular among the new members. Why? I certainly don't know, but I'm not complaining. It's nice to have various people to talk to for a change.

Currently, I sought solitude in my cell with Judith in my arms. She laughed up a storm as I continued playfully munching on her neck. Her giggles made me forget about everything; the sounds brought me peace. She was now pushing on five months old and growing into her features with every day that passed. She's a gorgeous little girl who reminded everyone of her mother, but it was evident that she wasn't Rick's daughter. She had Shane's eye shape and his lips, which were starkly different from Rick's, and her hair was a blondish brown. Rick and Lori were both brunettes. A few days ago, Rick shared that Shane had blondish brown hair as a kid, just like Judy's, and it had gotten darker as he grew up. That bit of information hit my heart like a ton of bricks, but it makes me proud and happy to see Rick loving her as if she were his own.

The blanket covering the entrance to my cell shifted open, and Michonne smiled at me as she watched Judith and I play. I couldn't help the sigh that escaped my lips and the grimace that washed over me as I hesitantly stood up with the baby in my arms. I didn't want to leave Judith, but I had to do this run. Suddenly, I was very aware of the holster clinking against my leg, reminding me of the dangers outside these strong walls. Michonne followed me as I exited my cell and started toward Beth's cell. When I entered, Beth was slipping on her boots, getting ready for her shift to take care of the kids.

Jobs were something that we, as the committee, agreed upon. There's always something that needs to be done around here, and we finally have the people to get these things done. Beth and one of the newcomers, Daisy, were in charge of the kids. Daryl, Michonne, Glenn, and Maggie were more flexible, but mainly, they took groups outside to scavenge.

I smiled at Beth and handed Judith over, thanking her quickly before exiting the prison with Michonne. The sun was barely visible, covered by a thick blanket of clouds, and the sky was a dark gray, signaling that a storm was on the way.