Chapter Five: After Detention

                Everyone in the New Marauders had returned to their respectful house about four hours after dinner had ended. Only older students (mostly seventh years) were talking in the common rooms. When James and any other New Marauders in Gryffindor house arrived back, they got a suspicious look from the prefect who was sitting and reading a book next to the crackling fire. James wished the others a good night (though it was technically morning now) and went to his room shared with the other boys in his year.

                He plopped onto his bed with a loud grunt, and was asleep seconds later.

                ----

                The Great Hall was unusually loud the next morning. Actually, it usually was like this on the first day of the new school year. Students told all their friends about their adventures over summer vacation or compared schedules, groaning about several of the required classes on them.

                "How many classes do we have together?" James asked Emily as they walked into the Great Hall together.

                "As in, Gryffindor and Ravenclaw?" Two. Unless you count--"

                "HEY LOVEBIRDS!" Trinity yelled, suddenly between the two with he arms draped lazily around their shoulders.

                Emily frowned, but didn't protest. Though, in her head, she was screaming and cursing out Trinity, along with the quick snap of, "I am not with him!"

                James, on the other hand, had a full on smirk, "Well, of course," he said.

                Trinity's eyes lit up, "Seriously? You're the cutest couple ever!"

                "We are not a couple!" Emily protested.

                "We could be!"

                "No."

                "Please?"

                No, not the puppy dog eyes, not those! "No!"

                "Aw," James pouted at her.

                Emily sighed and rolled her eyes, "James."

                "Yes? Did you change your mind already? I knew you couldn't resist my charm. No one can."

                "No."

                "...Fine."

                ----

                The first day of classes passed rather quickly, and yet again they met up after dinner.

                Albus groaned, leaning against the couch. "I think I ate too much..."

                Everyone else agreed... Even Selena.

                "Where's your iPod, Sel?"

                "It died," she grumbled, "and I still need to cast the spell on my laptop so it'll actually work with all of this magic surrounding it."

                Sofia snorted, a grin crossing her face, "Thank God, I couldn't stand much more of your horrid air guitar."

                ----

                About a month into the school year, James had already managed to get detention three times. The fourth time, he somehow managed to drag Emily into it.

                Hagrid let them go early. They ran into the rain pouring down too thickly for the two students two be safely outside. Of course, they still had to run through though the downpour to get into the castle.

                The two were sopping wet, drops of water falling to the ground, forming a puddle around them as the caught their breath.

                "Thanks, James. There goes me never getting a detention."

                "I'm not sorry," he laughed, shaking the water from his hair like a dog.

                "Oh well," she said softly, ringing her own hair out and sighing, "It was bound to happen sometime, I guess."

                "Yeah, especially when I'm your best friend."

                "Really?"

                He blinked. "'Really' what?"

                "I'm just surprised you didn't say something about me being your girlfriend," she gave him a half-hearted smile, "I've kind of gotten used to it."

                "Wait, so we are dating? Merlin, you make this confusing!"

                "If you want; and at this point, I'm sure you do."

                He nodded, "Yes, you've got that right. I do!"

                The next thing either of them knew, they were kissing.

----

Sorry I haven't updated in so long! I've had this chapter written since May, and typed since September, but I'm just uploading it now. I hope you guys can forgive me for being so slow! Anyways, today is the two year anniversary of when I first started writing this series. Insane, isn't it? I hope to have this one finished by February (I'm going to fail so hard at that), because I still have four more to write after that. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!