Chapter 6: The Great Award

March, 2019

As I was sitting with my classmates in my Dual Enrollment class, I was called up by my teacher, Mrs. Johnson. When a teacher calls you up to his or her desk, you think, Wait, am I in trouble? I put my book down on my desk and got up to see what the news was all about. 

"Taylor, your counselor just called me up on the phone to tell you something." Mrs. Johnson said.

Oh god, first my teacher and now my counselor too? Am I getting sent down to another meeting for my disability? I thought to myself with my hands closely tight together.

"She wants you to speak to her on the phone, Taylor." Mrs. Johnson offered me her phone.

"Alright." I said with hesitation.

I picked up the phone to hear my counselor's voice.

"Chloe, this is Ms. Love. How are you today?" She asked.

"Good, how are you?" I replied back.

"I am great. Listen, I have really good news for you!" She exclaimed with excitement. 

"Really? Well, what is it?" I asked with curiosity.

"You got the scholarship!" Ms. Love cheered.

Scholarship? Which one?  I had applied for  six of them. I thought. 

"Hold on, which one did I receive?" I asked, unable to catch my breath.

"The John Amos Comenius Educator's Scholarship!" Ms. Love cheered again.

"WHAT?!" I shouted.

This could not be happening. I had previously written several essays talking about my experience with teachers and how they were the real reason why I wanted to become an elementary school teacher. 

"Are you serious?" I asked in shock, almost in tears.

"Yes, Taylor. You got the scholarship!" Ms. Love said cheeringly.

"I got the scholarship!" I exclaimed, jumping up and down.

"I wrote her a recommendation letter." Mrs. Johnson said to the class, laughing next to me. 

My Dual Enrollment class congratulated me and gave a thumbs up for working hard on this scholarship. 

I asked Mrs. Johnson if I could go to my counselor's office and see her before our class ended. Said said yes and I quickly grabbed my backpack before I was out the door.

Once I got to the counseling office, I signed in and knocked on the door to see my counselor. 

"Taylor, what a pleasure to have you. Please, take a seat." Ms. Love said, pointing at the chair across her desk. 

"I can't believe I got this scholarship. I was desperate to get something before I could graduate from high school." I explained. 

"Well, I am so proud for you for your hard work Taylor. You truly are an inspiration and you have come a long way since I first met you back in your freshman year." Ms. Love said with a warm smile on her face.

"Honestly, I don't think I would be here if it weren't for you and the faculty here at the Coral Academy of Science ." I replied back with a smile.

"You have earned in, Taylor. I am glad to have you as a student and I hope someday we can work together as colleagues." Ms. Love replied back.

Ms. Love gave me a tight hug and allowed me to go to the bus loop where I would ride back home, smiling like the brightest sun in the universe.