Twenty-Six

The room we were in was insanely loud, louder than what I was used to as Sedna and Delmare fought over who would be the car as we set up Monopoly that I had introduced Delmare to a month ago. I shook my head, placing the steamship—which I liked to call the Titanic—on the Go square at the corner of the board before sorting through the money. Shuffling the cards a few times, I waited patiently for them to stop bickering, but unfortunately, I didn't think they would stop until one of them gave up. I knew that would never happen.

With a sigh, I grabbed the car out of Delmare's hand, looking at both of them with a stern expression, hoping they would know I meant what I said, "Neither of you are going to be the car if you two don't stop bickering like children. It doesn't matter what piece you are, just pick one and be done with it." With a huff, I threw the car back into the box and grabbed the dice. "Youngest goes first. Sedna, roll please."

"Sorry," they both mumbled as Sedna grabbed the dice from my hand and rolled.

After a few minutes of playing, I was getting hungry, but I didn't want to leave my stuff laying there and risk my money being stolen by the two cheaters I was playing with. I grabbed the dice to roll and let them fall onto the board. Moving my piece, I bit my lip as I realized I would immediately be sent to jail.

"Damn," I cursed, pouting a little as I set the Titanic in the jail.

"Aww, you went to jail," she said, her golden eyes gleaming with laughter. "Well, I'll be sure to visit you, sis!"

I couldn't help but smile at her as my disappointment ceased. Sedna and Theodosia were the only ones who knew that Delmare and I had eloped. She had been more than thrilled when we told her, but a little upset that she hadn't been there. I could tell that she wanted to plan me a party still, even if I was already married to her brother.

"So, I was thinking, I haven't been on land in a while and you must miss it up there..." Sedna trailed off as she purchased one of the yellow properties. "Maybe we could take a trip to that beach town where you're from. What was it again? Myrtle Beach?"

"Well, I've been missing for a few months, so we probably shouldn't go to Myrtle Beach," I said, grabbing the die from the board and rolling, hoping I could get out of jail. "Not unless we want to be questioned by the police about where I've been for the past two months. And I don't think we should say I ran away with a merman king who is now my husband, and now that I'm married, I'm supposed to help rule an underwater kingdom that only a few humans in the entire world know about. Yeah, that'll go over well." I laughed, handing the dice over to Delmare, who looked over at me knowingly.

"Is there a city you've always wanted to visit?" Delmare asked, setting the dice down and turning his full attention on me.

"I've always wanted to visit the Gold Coast in Australia," I replied automatically. "There's the Sea World aquarium and the beaches are absolutely beautiful."

"Sounds nice. We'll definitely go there. We can have the girls come along as well," Sedna said excitedly, clapping her hands together.

"What?"

"Your old maids, Ondina and Consuela. They're your friends, right? We can even ask Avisa, Alana, Elizabeth, and her mother to come along as well! Oh, it'll be so much fun!"

"Elizabeth Caudill? The future queen to Waverly, right?" I asked.

"Yeah, our second cousin once removed, but there's so many of us, we just call them our cousins." She laughed.

"That seems like a lot of people," I commented nervously. "Can't we just spend a day at the beach or something? It really doesn't have to be a big deal."