Passenger Seat

Surprise surprise, it's another Death Cab For Cutie song chapter (this song is honestly so beautiful, please listen to it).
I said I wasn't going to write this but I make bad decisions at 1:00am so here we are.
I just had to do it after I read Samm_x_Sinner 's version, it's so well done and I 10/10 recommend checking it out (thank you for being awesome my dude (: )

Genre: Fluff (?)
Characters: George, Dream
Ships: None
Warnings: None
Word: 1035
05/02/21

A gush of refreshing country air hit the side of George's face as they sped around the bend of an old back road. It was just the two of them now, him and Dream, with the others having vacated the car what seemed like forever ago. This night felt endless - he didn't think if he looked at the time on the clock he would be able to bring himself to believe it.

George had never been more glad to be away from a party. When Bad had approached and asked if they could leave he had been hesitant, sure, but now he thought he had never regretted a decision less. Dream had dropped the rest of the group he was designated to drive off at their homes with well wishes and reminders to drink lots of water, and after they were all gone it hadn't seemed right to send George straight home as well, so now here they were god-knows-how-long into a winding drive along dark and mostly abandoned roads.

George's world was spinning a bit. The looming evergreens through the windshield on either side of them seemed to be closing in, swirling around them and hugging them tight to keep them close together in Dream's old beater. Their scent clung crisp in the air, a soft comfort mixed with the heat blasting in his face to make up for the open window beside him. The road in front of them seemed to be as eternal as the night; George was sure after each twist and turn that they must be forced to turn off it soon, and yet it just kept going, and so they just kept driving.

He shifted his gaze when Dream's arm moved out from the wheel to fiddle with the radio, changing the station of near-silent music that had been playing throughout their little trip. His eyes followed as the man's hand drifted back to its place on the steering wheel, then they continued to trace up to his shoulder, past his neck, until his sight rested on the loose strands of blond hair falling neatly past his cheek and jaw bones. He watched him affectionately, not really realizing how long he had been staring until Dream turned for a moment to look at him, and then they were both back to the road in front of them.

George stuck his head out the window and shut his eyes blissfully as the wind whipped at his hair and bit at his nose and his cheeks. With his feet up on the dash, he felt like he could be floating, like nothing else existed in the world but their car going 90km and hour down this endless country road with the two of them nestled inside of it. Or maybe flying was more like it. He felt elated.

As he ducked his head back in out of the draft, he leaned against the headrest and peered up at the sky. The stars twinkled down at him, reminding him that there was, in fact, more out there than this moment in this car on this road. The world existed out there, and it was so very beautiful. A dash of light in the corner of his vision caught his eye, and he swung his gaze just in time to catch a shooting star burning across the vast night sky over the tops of the shadowy trees that surrounded them. Its bright trail fizzled out too soon for George to even point it out, but he was soon back to scanning the inky blanket of stars for more movement. He sat up excitedly as he noticed a steady beacon making its way across the sky, but slumped back disappointedly as he realized it was nothing more than a satellite. He still didn't give up though, straining his eyes to try and spot another meteor.

"Do you see any?" he asked Dream, his vision never leaving the sky.

"Any what?"

"Shooting stars."

Dream leaned over the steering wheel and averted his focus from the road for a brief moment to meet where George was looking.

He leaned back again. "I see a satellite," he remarked. George hummed and pulled his gaze away, deciding maybe he should focus on the things he knew were happening around him rather than waiting on the mere possibility of another falling star.

It was quiet for a few moments but for the steady rumbling of wheels on cracked pavement and the gentle hum on the radio in the background.

"Do you think they ever collide?" George inquired after a little while.

He caught Dream smiling fondly at him from the corner of his eye, and then he was answering, "I don't know, George. I haven't thought about it before."

It was left at that. Neither of them had an answer, and he didn't want to ponder it too hard either, didn't really want an answer. It was just one of those things that was better left unknown, something he could wonder about and be mystified by for as long as he felt like it and never have to worry about having the magic of it ruined by a definitive 'yes' or' no'.

He could barely believe his eyes when they pulled up to the driveway of his house. When had they turned off? When had that infinite winding road finally come to its end? How had the night gone on for so long, and yet it was over so soon? George didn't feel as though he could leave the car yet, and Dream didn't say anything about it, so they sat there together with the radio singing to them quietly and a comfortable shroud of nothingness between them.

Finally, he pushed the passenger side door open and stumbled out onto the lonely pavement under a nearby street light. He waved goodbye to Dream from outside after having received all the same kind-hearted messages as the rest of his friends, and then slamming the door after him. George was grateful as he turned to begin to wander his way up to his home, and thanked him through the rolled-down window for a night that seemed to last for all time.

Idk how good this is, it's nearly 3:00am and I am so fucking tired but this had to be done. Anyway uh as usual votes and comments bring me unreasonable amounts of joy so you should do that thanks.