Chapter 03

iii

iii. Dark Corridors

The boy placed a hand on her shoulder, "Wandering the corridors alone, at this hour?"

Elizabeth could see the outline of his head tilt to the side but knowing she had only just left the great hall she quickly responded, "It can't even be nine thir-"

The boy raised a finger, silencing her, "Tsk tsk..."

She rolled her eyes, "What gives you the right to wander alone but not me?"

"I have a badge." He replied simply tapping his chest vainly, "And you..."

Elizabeth removed the boys hand from her shoulder, "Oh give it up Regulus!" 

Regulus burst into laughter, 

"I didn't think you'd recognise me, I thought you know, if I didn't tell you I could scare you!"

Elizabet furrowed her eyebrows slightly opening her mouth then closing it, thinking better of herself and then without hesitation answering, "I mean you'd think I knew the sound of my own friends voice wouldn't you?"

"Friend?" He questioned, half amused and half of some emotion Elizabeth couldn't particularly identify,

"Best friend." She teased nudging Regulus on the shoulder playfully,

"That just sounds cheesy and besides we're not best friends, we're just friends, I have my friends you have yours there's a thin line."

"Yeah but it's thin." Elizabeth replied demonstrating with her fingers.

Now that they had travelled a little further she noticed his robes a little more and of course the green badge he now wore emblazoned against his chest. One of the sleeves of his robes rested off his shoulder and over the crook of his elbow, it was just visible enough for her to see a little S+R sown and patched in.

His well-fitted robes were certainly a contrast to hers. Her jumper on the one hand was slightly baggy and the sleeves seemed to drag on beyond the ends of her fingers. Her skirt, a little tight around the waist, not that anyone could have noticed under the jumper, was slightly creased. Her robes on the other hand were far too short her sleeves ended at her wrists. Magic was said to fix everything, clearly, it couldn't.

Exhaling Elizabeth turned to face Regulus again, "Congratulations." She held her arms in the air attempting jazz hands,

"What's that supposed to mean?" Regulus mocked gesturing at her hands,

"Jazz hands, it's a muggle thing..."

"Your amusing."

"Oh your the one to talk mister piano!"

"That's not a muggle thing!"

"Yes it is!"

"No it's not."

"It is."

"It isn't!"

After being escorted, although she'd rather refer to it as, travelled together, by Regulus to the Kitchens she tickled the small pear before quickly turning around to wave him goodnight.

The portrait swung shut behind her as she entered the Kitchens. House Elves ran around hurriedly stacking plates with their magic and some sat on the floor digging into the leftovers, "Miss Pettigrew!" Some called out running towards her,

She knelt down awkwardly, "Hey."

"You should tell your brother to keep out of the cheese stack this year!"

"And the chocolate stack for that matter, every last week of the month almost our whole bowel goes empty, one of them will end up with a sour stomach this year mind you, I've added a taste of my own magic and I have more tricks up my sleeve!" Another chirped,

"Twinkie you don't have sleeves..." An elf from the back called out

"Well, in my world we call it a metaphor!" Twinkie replied sassily,

"In most people's worlds." Elizabeth corrected,

"Oh Miss Elizabeth!" The elf from the back ran towards her jumping up and down a little too happily, "It's so good to see you again!" He wrapped his small arms around her legs.

"You too Tiggey!" Giggling, she stood up trying to detach the small body from her.

"I've got to go," She pointed back towards the portrait, "But I'll come back."

***

The Hufflepuff common room was only a few meters away from the Kitchens and Elizabeth happily skipped over to a group of Barrels. Making sure to place her fingers on the barrel in the second row in the middle before tapping to the beat of Helga's theme tune. Vinegar was not a nice smell coated over your body if you weren't too careful.

Their common room was bright. The walls thankfully, were not yellow and instead a Hazel brown which lit up quite nicely next to the fire, the couches were yellow, more dark and smooth than the kind of yellow you'd expect but yellow nonetheless. Students gathered around tables, some sat next to the fire whilst others plumped up their cushions for comfort.

Professor Sprout made her way to the front of the room, she was a short and stout woman, rather plump and around her mid-forties.

"I will continue from where professor Dumbledore left off," She gazed around the room, "Due to our lack of students year groups will indeed be mixing, second and third years together, fourth and fifth years together, and sixth and seventh years together, first years will proceed alone as usual for introductory purposes. However, not to worry, your O.W.L.S and N.E.W.T.S will continue as normal. Unfortunately, and my dears I can assure I fought long and hard for this not to be the case, stereotypically argumentative houses will be separated, hence, only Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs will have class together and Ravenclaws and Slytherins together."

Elizabeth thought of Bella, she'd make new friends, she had status she'd have Regulus to introduce her not that she couldn't do that herself of course but only as a backup. As for her, she'd have Marlene. Not to mention, Mary, Lily, Dorcas, Alice and... oh...

Her brother.

Countless lessons in class with him and the other boys seemed devastating. 

It was going to be a very, long year.

"That's unfair!" One girl shouted, "It's completely-"

"Claire I have tried my best, there is nothing I can do." Sprout replied.

Being called, the house for all the rest meant they didn't really get along, sure they knew each others names and company was pleasant, in fact, they were probably the most diverse house considering ethnicity and personality but that didn't mean they were, friends.

Elizabeth made her way up to the dormitory's, she had, and assumed she would always share it with the same four other girls, she knew their names of course not that she ever had to use them, in fact she'd rather not use them. She'd quite happily keep to her own little corner of the room.

Little lights floated around their bed's, sweet essence being Hufflepuff tradition. There were tiny compartments at the end of each area for furnishings and possessions.

On the other end of the room there were toilets, self explanatory really.

So Elizabeth curled underneath her covers in the dark because this year was going to be harder than most.