Chapter 5 | Distraction

Edited

~|Shawn|~

Friday

Matthew groaned in boredom. He was slumped over in a black bean bag chair that was falling apart. I shifted on the ugly couch in my room, just waiting for Nash to get back from doing community service.

"I'm bored as hell. I can't wait until this party starts. I swear I'm gonna beat my record of most make out sessions at a single party." Our second blond friend, Jack Johnson, stated while filling up a bowl with punch and putting it into the fridge.

"Something tells me that goth girls won't be interested." Matt chuckled.

"Well, I guess my only options are the chess club boys." He joked. When all of us turned to look at him without laughing he coughed into his hand. "I'm only joking. The bottom line is that I need to get some tonight, or else I may die." He explained.

"Calm your horny hormones." Matt replied while laughing.

"It's not that easy. I have needs."

"This conversation is over." Hayes, Nash's brother, rolled his eyes. Suddenly we heard the click of a key in the lock on the door. Nash walked in the door, cooler in hand, seeming annoyed. He immediately stripped out of the community service uniform, revealing his own clothes underneath.

"Hey. The seniors held up on their end of the deal, so we've got beer. Give me a second and then we'll go pick up the food." He nodded to the rest of us while placing the cooler on the floor. He picked up his uniform and walked past all of us into the bedroom. After a few minutes, Nash stepped out of the bedroom with his hair freshly combed and gelled back. "Alright, let's go." He ordered. Matt, Hayes, Jay and I made our way to the door, waiting for Nash to cross the living room. "Shawn could you stay here and watch the drinks please? I'm not putting anything passed those fleabags next door. Those conniving bitches would do anything to screw up our fun." 

"Alright. I can do that." I nodded while pulling the cooler away from the door and over to the coffee table. Nash thanked me before promptly leaving along with the other boys. I stared at the beer cooler, using all of my concentration. "Do not fuck up Shawn. I repeat, do not fuck up." I spoke to myself diligently.

A few minutes had passed by when I heard a knock at the door. People couldn't be showing up yet! We didn't have any food or any of the furniture moved. Oh no! I walked up to the door cautiously and look through the peep hole. He was standing there. "I'll be right there!" I shouted while quickly patting down any fly-aways I might have had. Taylor knocked again. I took a deep breath before opening the door, a shot of adrenaline rushed through me along with the feeling that I shouldn't even be speaking to him.

"'Sup?" I asked, attempting to seem effortless and cool. He's just so freaking cool, I wish that we could just... be friends.

"Hey Shawn." He smirked. "I heard that you were interested in being friends. Can we talk?" He asked while resting his hand on the door. I nodded silently while stepping back to let him in. He closed the door behind himself before gesturing that we sit on the couch. I don't know what had come over me, but it felt like my throat had been glued shut, leaving me unable to respond. "So, I know we're kind of in a sticky situation when it comes to being friends, right?" He asked once I had sat beside him on the couch. It took several seconds for me to gather up the strength to reply.

"Y-yeah," was all I could manage to get out.

"But from what I've heard through the grapevine, you're a really good person and you aren't like your friends when it comes to homophobia and stuff like that." He continued. As he spoke, I found my eyes starting to wander to his mouth. If he notices that, it's going to be so embarrassing. "Well, at least that's what I've heard. You don't have a problem with gay people, do you?" He asked while flashing me a charming smile.