Author's note

Welcome to my first ever ONC story 🙂

I'm using the childrensfiction prompt n.7:
When the siblings found a lost fairy in the garden shed, they decided to help her find the way home. They were in for an adventure.

When I read it, I knew this was a story about H. Ch. Andersen, about how he became a writer and why most of his stories are so sad and melancholic. Also, about why he never found real love... Yes, that's what I read about him (among other things)-- he kept falling in love with unattainable women.

My story portrays Hans Christian Andersen as a young, fourteen-years-old boy. It's set in Odense, Denmark, in the late summer of 1818-- soon after Hans' mother, a poor washerwoman, remarried (two years after his father's death) and shortly before he was sent to a school for poor children where he had to support himself. Where he became, to be able to afford his schooling, first a weaver's, then a tailor's apprentice, a singer, an actor and finally, once his excellent soprano voice changed, a writer.

Hans and Louise, his (fictional) step-sister, seek refuge from a summer storm in an old shed. There, they meet Rosalind, a lost Flower Fairy. When they decide to help her find not only the way home, but even the Butterfly Fairy boy she loves and intends to marry, they find themselves in a fantastical world of Terra Sonalis. A land of dreams populated by fairies, goblins, elves, mermaids, talking animals... All those mysterious creatures that fuelled Andersen's imagination for the rest of his life.

Genre: adventure/children's fiction/ preteen/ teen fiction/ young adult fantasy.

Thank you for reading :)