Emma

"Maddie! Hurry! We're going to be late!" Emma called, knocking on Maddie's bathroom door.

"Ugh, great hair doesn't come so easy, Emma! Something you obviously don't know!"

Emma rolled her eyes. "Well, I'm leaving without you! Good luck finding a ride!"

Then, she jogged down the stairs, waved goodbye to her dad and Ursula, and walked briskly to the bus stop.

"Emma! Emma!" Maddie screamed, running quickly after her.

Emma scratched at her neck and sighed.

This was going to be a long day.

• • •

The bus was almost full, and the only empty seat that she actually wanted to sit in was right next to Jax. So, she quickly started over to him, butterflies fluttering uncontrollably in her stomach. She sat down next to him.

He was thumping his leg and clicking his tongue, probably jamming out to the music through his headphones.

Emma blinked a few times. She wrestled with the thought of saying something to him.

Then he slipped his headphones off and packed it away in his backpack. He pulled out an X-Men comic and began to read.

"H-hi," she said quietly.

Jax looked at her. "Oh, hey." He smiled.

"What are you reading?" She wondered.

That was stupid, she thought. You know what he's reading, idiot.

"X-Men," he said. The right side of his lip rose up slightly.

"I used to read that when I was younger," she said quickly. He nodded.

Then they both laughed and talked about X-Men.

Then all of a sudden, everything felt different. And happy. And amazing.