Chapter 8

Still Sam POV

We walked into the house and they all sat in the living room as they had done earlier. I took a seat next to Connor and Tyler sat next to Brandon. 

"How did it go?" 

"Chuck, the guy Marc has been partners with for a while, is quitting, so Marc needs a new partner." Tyler said shrugging his shoulder. "So Joe only did what he had to." 

"But we are switching for now. Tyler will take Marc for a while and you are with me." I said and looked at Connor. "If you are okay with that?" Connor smiled and nodded. 

"I know Marc is a jerk, but why are you so against letting Connor and him partner up?" Eva asked. Tyler answered before I could.

"We don't trust him enough." He started. "We have trained very single one who goes out on field day, and it's not before we both are 100% sure that they are ready for it. The only reason Marc has been out, it because Chuck trusts him and wanted to be his partner." Eva nodded, satisfied with the answer. She looked at me, she excepted an answer from me as well. 

"I know 100% that Tyler has my back. I trust him with my life, and I have. I'm not gonna send Connor out there without knowing that Marc will do everything he can to make sure both of them comes home." 

"How do you know that I will do the same for Marc?" Connor asked me. 

"Because I know what kind of person you are, you don't leave anyone behind even a jerk like Marc." I smiled.

"But how do you know?" I looked over Brandon, he was already looking at me. 

"I told them." He smiled and looked at Connor and then Anna. "Sam and I told each other a story every night in the beginning. She told me about a person in her life now or before the invasion and I did the same." They all looked at me and smiled.

Anna POV

I couldn't help but gaze at Sam as they all talked. The bond she had with Brandon was incredible, it almost made me jealous. I know nothing can replace me in Brandon's eyes, but it felt good knowing that he had Sam if something did happen. 

"Anna?" Brandon said, bringing me out of my gaze. Sam sent me a smile before I looked at Brandon. They rest had already left the living room, it was just me, Sam and Brandon. 

"Sorry, what?" I asked.
"I'm going to bed, are you coming?" 

"You can go up, I'll be right there." I asked and watched him walk out and up the stairs. Sam gave me another smile before standing up and walking to the kitchen. I followed her. 

"How did your first day here go?" Sam asked taking a water out the fridge. I sat down at the kitchen table, so did she. 

"It was good." I breathed out. I wasn't sure how to feel. I felt safe and calm being here, but something was wrong. I couldn't say what, but you know that feeling you get in your stomach when something bad happens? I have that feeling. 

"You don't sound so sure." Sam said, not as a question but more as a statement. I shrugged my shoulder, not sure how to answer that, Sam could see my struggle, so she continued. "I know it's hard now and you feel like something is wrong or missing, I did too when I got here. So did Brandon. But it will change, it will take time, but it will be better." Sam smiled at me with that perfect smile I had come to adore. 

"How can you be sure?" I asked her. She stood up and went to grab a paper from the counter.
"Brandon started drawing again." She smiled and handed me the paper. "He told me that you are like him and when you start feeling better, you will start drawing again."

"Did he make this?" I asked and looked at the drawing.   

"He did." Sam said. "He gave it to me yesterday for my birthday."
"Happy birthday." I smiled at her.   

"Thank you." 

We sat in silence for a few minutes before she stood up. "I'm going up, you wanna stay here?" I shook my head. 

"No, I'll come too." I stood up and followed her up the stairs. I stopped at my room and watched as Sam walked to hers. Before walking in, she turned and looked at me. 

"Remember what I said." She smiled. "My door is always open." I gave her a smile back before watching her disappear into her room. 

Did I want to stay with her tonight?