Chapter Four

The Mechanic

AN- just a reminder (relevant to flashbacks) Tony Stark attended high school at age seven so I figured he'd finish elementary around five or six.

Whilst Natasha and Maria fired bullets at the robots, Steve was physically engaging them in hand to hand combat. He jumped several feet in the air, grabbing onto the neck of one that was shooting at Natasha. The robot used it's boosters to push itself backwards towards a wall, slamming Steve into it.

"Steve!" Adelaide shouted as he fell. She ran to his side as Natasha and Bruce escaped from behind the bar. Steve grunted as he tried to sit up, being helped by Adelaide. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Go take cover. Stay safe." he begged as he got to his feet again.

"And leave you with all the fun?" she smirked in response, confusing the man. "Oh, I don't think so." She turned around, immediately spotting Tony on the back of a robot in midair, much like Steve had been moment ago. She raised her arms, her hands clasped together before violently ripping them apart, causing the robot to seemingly tear apart as if it was in a tug of war.

Steve didn't have time to dwell on it, he had to get back to the fight.

Adelaide turned to see a robot back Helen Cho up against the wall. She had completely forgotten she was here, and defenceless. The woman placed her arms out in front of her body before pulling them back into herself, causing the robot to fly backwards. On it's journey Thor smashed it with Mjolnir.

There was one robot left besides Ultron himself. Clint appeared, seemingly from nowhere. "Cap!" he called, launching the mans shield. But the shield was going to completely miss Steve, so Adelaide held her arm out and cured her fingers, causing to go in Steve's direction. He caught it and spun around before launching it at the lone robot, cutting it in half before it began to almost shatter.

"That was dramatic." Ultron stated, limping around once again. "I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. People started to lower their weapons as the robot limped, Steve taking a few steps in it's direction before Adelaide grabbed his arm to stop him. "You want to protect the world but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to evolve?" Everyone shared confused and concerned glances. "With these?" Ultron grabbed the head of a limp robot. "These puppets." It squeezed the robots head so hard that some of the outer shell popped off. Ultron threw it back to the ground. "There's only one path to peace."

Adelaide grabbed Steve's arm tighter, in fear of what Ultron thought that path was. She knew what it would be if Howard had created it. Was Tony any better...? She hoped so.

"The Avengers' extinction." Nope, not better, definitely worse. Thor threw his hammer at the robot, spending back against the wall where it smashed to pieces. That wasn't the end of it though. The somewhat intact head and chest of Ultron continued to speak. No, sing... "I had strings, but now I'm free..." It sang before the light faded.

Adelaide had seen some weird things in her time, but a robot created by nephew with the goal of making Tony's friend extinct that also creepily sang Pinocchio songs? That took the prize so far...

Everyone gathered in Bruce's lab. "All our work is gone." The doctor said. "Ultron cleared out. He used the internet as an escape hatch," he explained to the group.

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other." Natasha added, folding her arms over her chest. She had changed from her dress, she know wore black leggings, a black tank top and a grey hoodie.

Adelaide hadn't bothered to change, but Thor did give her his jacket when he noticed her wrapping her arms around herself. She sat beside Maria, helping the woman pull glass from her feet.