Ch. 10 - Mother

"You say you don't forgive me, yet you keep visiting," my mother stated as she tidied up her room.

"I may be a murderer, but I'm not totally cold hearted," I commented and just lightly chuckled.

"I don't regret having you," she told me. "I knew I couldn't provide for you, but I had always wanted a child. When I knew I couldn't take of you anymore, I thought sending you off would be the best option. That way you wouldn't starve to death here."

"You speak as if this has happened," I spoke, noticing the way she spoke seemed different as if she was remembering something.

"Yes....." she said sadly. "She was a dear friend. She got pregnant and had the child, but she died and the child almost starved to death. Luckily someone came and got him."

"Him?" I questioned.

"Mhm. She had a son," she said and smiled over at me. "She named him Levi."

My eyes widened when I heard his name. Levi.....was kinda just like me....

"Did your friend have raven black hair, by any chance?" I asked her.

She looked at me suspiciously and seemed a little shocked.

"How did you know?" She questioned me.

"I....Just a good guess," I responded and looked away from her gaze.

She walked up and stood before me with her arms crossed.

"You know him," she declared.

"No no no. I don't, I swear," I said, shaking my head, denying her words.

I noticed a smirk grow on her face and I knew where this was going.

"You like him?" She asked.

"Huh?!" I shouted. "What?!"

"You doooooo!" She sang joyfully.

"Mom stop! I don't like anyone," I hissed. "I don't have time for that. I have a mouth to feed and money to make."

"Mouth to feed?" She said confused.

Shit!

"It's not what you think!" I immediately declared. "I took a kid off the streets!"

"Okay, okay. Calm down," she responded with a huff. "You're being very overdramatic."

"Psh. Am not," I retorted.

"Alright big baby," she teased and I rolled my eyes.

I didn't feel like arguing anymore, so I stayed silent. I didn't have time for feelings. I needed to survive. I needed to provide for Isabel so she could at least have a decent life.

"It's okay to have feelings," mom spoke suddenly. "I once loved a man.."

"Oh really?" I said sarcastically and she just sighed at that response.

"He died before I could tell him I loved him," she murmured. "That's why, if you ever feel anything, don't just stand by please. I want you to be happy."

"What makes you think I'm not happy," I asked her.

"Do you actually like killing people?" She questioned me.

This stunned me a bit. I mean, I do enjoy the adrenaline rush I get from him, but overall I wasn't a fan. I just saw it as my way to survive.

"Not entirely," I replied honestly. "That doesn't mean I don't have any happiness."

"Would you be here if you did?" She asked.

"Probably not..." I stated.

Isabel was my one source of happiness, but I think my mom was thinking differently. She had a point....but it isn't like I can just go out and find someone.