IV

I closed the garage doors and leaned against them. This whole situation was insane. Ghosts? That's so...not normal. They looked like regular kids, they can't be here to hurt me or anything, right? They don't seem like the type.

I sighed and headed into the house. Dad was in the kitchen with Carlos getting ready for dinner.

Seeing my dad made me remember what happened at school; I haven't played music since the night mom died, which meant that my time in the music program has come to an end. Today was my last chance to make up for the year of my silence by singing a song for the class, but I completely choked up and blew it.

I tried to sneak up the stairs without my Dad seeing. I lifted my foot to head up but I must not have raised it high enough because a second later, my big toe collided with the step. I yelped out in pain and began to hop around holding my throbbing toe.

My dad and Carlos looked over at me.

"You okay?" Dad asked slowly.

"Yeah, yup, fine, thanks," I said quickly trying to rush away. I was not in the mood for a heart-to-heart right now.

"Actually," Dad said walking up to me. "I've been wanting to talk to you."

Great.

"I am proud of you for cleaning out the garage. I know it's hard to do. But she would have wanted you to be the one to do it." He said.

I raised my eyebrows, I was not expecting this. "It's not that big of a deal," I replied, shrugging. "It's been like a year, it's about time I went in there."

"Well in that case, why don't you try singing and playing again." He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Um, I don't know about that just yet." I said.

"Dad, your phone is ringing," Carlos called out. "

Dad looked over.

"Ooooooooh it's from Julie's school. Someone is in troubleeeee." Carlos teased.

My eyes went wide, which my father sadly noticed.

He eyed me suspiciously before heading to answer the call.

I heard a bunch of 'okay"s and 'yeah"s before he put the phone down.

"Speaking of you singing again," He started while crossing his arms.

I sighed.

"Look, I know I messed up alright? It's just that, it's been super hard for me. But i'm just not feeling super well right now so can we please talk about this tomorrow. I'm so-" I started before getting interrupted by music coming from the garage.

"What is that?" Carlos asked.

Those stupid boys must be back from their little walk.

"Uh, I must have left the stereo on in the garage," I said, rushing to the door. "I'll go get it."

I am going to kill them.