𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

TEENAGE KICKS

PROLOGUE: CHEERLEADING?

RORY LAWRENCE WAS what many would describe as reckless, some going as far to paint her as someone who had no future ahead of her

RORY LAWRENCE WAS what many would describe as reckless, some going as far to paint her as someone who had no future ahead of her. And eventually, the young girl began to agree with them; If that was what everyone saw her as, then that was who she would become.

Her eyes cracked open as she tried to blindly search for her blaring alarm clock, hand smacking around before coming into contact with the object and shoving it harshly to the floor below. The loud crash made her lips tug up ever so slightly, sighing blissfully before turning over and pulling the duvet up to her chin.

"Rory Anne Lawrence, you better not still be sleeping!" 

A short groan left her lips as she stretched her arms over her head, smiling lazily at her glaring mother as she sunk back into the comforting warmth of her bed. But that seemed to be the wrong choice as seconds later she yelped at the cool air that attacked her bare limbs.

The brunette tried to curl up into a ball, absorbing whatever was left of her sleep before the older woman huffed and rested her hands on her hips. "What did I say about skipping school?"

"That it's bad?" Rory finally moved her gaze over to her mother, "now, can I have my covers back?"

She narrowed her eyes dangerously, "the lack of respect you have for your elders is astounding, and for that, give me your walkman."

"But-" Rory sat straight up, fully awake, "you can't just do that!"

"I can and I will," she couldn't help but force down a smile at finally getting through to her daughter, "that, or you get ready within the next five minutes and I'll only take it for a day."

Rory weighed her choices, but sighed when she realized that the woman was serious and jumped to her feet, trying to smooth down her dishevelled hair as she passed the mirror. Laura Lawrence began laying back down the duvet and fixing up the imperfections, never one to allow one piece out of place in their house.

Her daughter, who had caught sight of the action, rolled her eyes and shut herself in the bathroom to quickly (in record time) brush both her teeth and hair, not bothering to do anything else except spray on some deodorant before moving back to her bedroom.

Before she could finish tying her shoes, Rory was abruptly cut off by her older brother, Johnny, "Rory, I've been waiting for 2 minutes! If I'm late because of you, heard the bus has some extra room!"

Grumbling under her breath about his impatience, Rory didn't bother tying her shoelaces as she begrudgingly swung her backpack over her shoulder and practically stumbled down the stairs. She jumped off the last step, grabbing an apple from the basket in the kitchen before taking a large bite.