Nueve

I head over to Kellin's house with a full backseat and an annoying Mike noting how excited I was getting up this morning. I wasn't excited. I'm still not excited. I mean it's whatever, we're going skating. Big whoop, I don't see what there is to be excited about.

Mike and Shannon are cuddling in the back, while I pull into the driveway and hop out. Mike decides to stay in the car, so I wander up to the door and knock. It takes a few long seconds before the door swings open, revealing a beaming Kellin. He has hockey skates in his hand and a grey beanie on, wearing a black jacket and grey jeans. He looks nice, I must admit. He lifts his arms as if he were going to hug me, before dropping them again and looking away shyly.

"Don't go all shy on me, come on, bring it in," I say, wrapping my arms around his shoulders and pulling him into my chest. He giggles and wraps his arms around my midsection, squeezing me. I hold him only for a moment before letting go and pulling away.

"So um... let's go?" he says, sounding unsure.

"Yeah," I smile, backing up and walking down to my car. I drop into my seat and Mike clears his throat behind me. I turn and look him expectantly.

"You're supposed to open his door, doofus."

"Why? I think he can do it himself," I chuckle.

"Dude, you practically asked him out on date, you should treat it like one."

"What? I don't like him like that." Kellin then opens the door and our conversation ends. He falls into his seat and looks over at me. I smile and turn around, backing out.

We arrive at the rink a few minutes later. No more than ten, no less than five. The ride was filled with Mike and Shannon's flirting. I have to restrain my eyes from rolling. We all evacuate from the car and head to the benches to tie our skates. When we're all set, we step on the ice and Mike and I instantly fall on our asses. Shannon squeals and drops down helping Mike to his feet while Kellin has a good laugh.

"Shut up," I mumble. Being a native from San Diego, I'm used to surfing, not skating. Kellin finally offers his hand and after a moment or two of struggle I get to my feet. Being vertical only causes problems, and Kellin has to hold my arm firmly to keep me from falling again. I never knew ice was this fucking slippery.

"You okay?" he asks, sounding amused.

"Yes. Just... help me," I whine. He chuckles and moves his arm around my waist holding me against him. And in that moment, I almost blush. I think I do a little bit, but thankfully it's late enough that the sun has set and it's beginning to get dark.

"So I'm assuming you don't go skating often," he says. I'm trying to concentrate on my strides, so I give him a small shake and stare at the ice.

"If you stare at the ice you're going to fall. You need to look at your target," he explains. I look at him and just then realize how close he is to me. I nod and face forward. "Not much of a talker today, huh?" he wonders.

"Sorry, I'm trying to concentrate."

"You're trying too hard. Don't think about it, just focus on me, kay?" he instructs. I turn to him again and try to forget about my stiff, robotic movements. "I like pancakes. And back rubs. Sometimes when I'm cold I start compulsively jumping." He turns to watch around us, making sure we don't run over someone. I keep my eyes on him, trying to bury the fact that we're gliding on ice in the back of my mind. "I like the colour purple, I'm not sure why I just feel like it holds a lot inside its borders. I adore when guys smile into kisses. I hate first dates. Burritos are love, burritos are life. This one time I got a burrito for free!" He pauses, turn back to me and smiling. I practically fall over. Actually, I did fall over. That is one hell of a smile.