Chapter Six - Attack

Chapter Six.

Ogai watched in satisfaction as his troops swept from their hiding place down to the illuminated Fort, a great wave of heroic patriots. They brandished spears, swords, glaives, maces and crossbows, ready to kill and die for their empire. Ogai himself wasn't stupid enough to be in the initial attack, he waited on the crest of a low knoll astride his warhorse.

A warning horn sounded from within the camp in reply to the charge. Soldiers began to pour from barracks, rushing to their assigned stations. Ogai watched several trip over as they attempted to put on their pants and run at the same time. Very humorous, who knew taking over the world would be so comical?

To Ogai's right was Ransyn, holding his over-eager bay's head in with a cruel hand. The beast danced beneath the captain, keen to join the chase. Ransyn's left arm rested on his thigh, massive fist clutching the hilt of a plain steel broadsword.

"My lord," Ransyn panted, bloodlust in his eyes. "Let me go with the troops, let me get the Book for you."

"No," Ogai replied. "We shall wait until the Fort is secured before we make our move."

Ransyn nodded, but couldn't hide a look of disappointment. Ogai reached across and clapped a hand to his friend's shoulder.

"Fret not; we shall get the Book in due course. Why risk our hides unnecessarily to achieve something that is destined to happen?"

Ransyn nodded. "I never thought of it that way before, my lord. You are undoubtedly wise."

Ogai heaved a sigh. "That's why I will rule the world," he replied.

Ransyn grinned, moonlight glinting off his teeth.

The pair turned their attention back to the battle ensuing below. Ogai's highly trained soldiers had already breached the first portcullis and, even as Ogai and Ransyn watched, they fought their way through the second. Anticipation bubbled in the pit of Ogai's stomach as he wet his lips eagerly, soon the Book would be his.

With a roar that echoed off the hills, his men pushed their way through the third barrier and poured into the compound. The clash of steel on steel rang out clear on the still night air, caressing Ogai's ears with its familiar notes. He shuddered with excitement. The cries of the Ohadian guards rose above even the steel, men frantically yelling for support, or screaming as a Gyurelian blade buried itself deep within their flesh.

Ogai couldn't wait any longer. He gathered his reins and drummed his heels against his horse's barrel-like ribcage. The beast half-reared in alarm, tossing its head with a grunt, then struck out down the scrubby knoll with ground-eating strides. The thunder of its huge hooves nearly drowned out the cacophony below.

Nearly.

Ogai heard Ransyn's emphatic whoop of delight and knew the captain was hot on his heels. He crouched low over the withers of his grey, urging the horse even faster over the treacherous terrain. At this speed, a fall would result in death, but Ogai's impatience overruled reason. He focused on the Fort below, now flickering with flame, and a savage grin sprang to his face.

It didn't take long before he was galloping through the portcullises. The bodies of those who had been guarding them at the moment of attack littered the ground, slowing Ogai's horse as the beast tried to avoid them. With a growl Ogai slapped the end of the reins against the stallion's shoulder, pushing it onward.

With the slick schick he loved so much, Ogai drew his own weapon, a deadly curved saca forged by master smiths. It was a fine blade, one of the finest Ogai had ever seen. After the sword had been finished he had had the men that crafted it put to death so they couldn't make such a beautiful weapon for anyone else.