Chapter Eleven - Bathing in Ice

Merric didn’t talk to her at all the next day, even though he still rode at her side. Occasionally Kallista would cast a covert glance sideways to check if his expression had changed, but it never did. It remained moody and overcast, with a deep line constantly etched in his forehead.

She knew it was her fault that he was in such a bad mood, but she couldn’t help it. What right had he to probe into her personal life? None at all, she reasoned. When they reached Falls he would hand her over to the palace guard and she would be tried for thievery or kidnap or assault with intent to injure, or, with her luck, all three. After that she would be thrown in the palace dungeon and he could skip off to his next assignment.

As she dwelled on the series of events stretching ahead of her, caused by the choices she thought she had put behind her, Kallista found her own mood darkening. Eagle sensed it and ceased his constant nervous dancing, keeping his ears directed back toward her as if afraid to miss a command and thus earn a beating.

That day they made good time, leaving the desert behind them and entering the low, rolling farmland of central Ohadi. Brittle dead grass was replaced with lush green fields and golden wheat. The endless sea of sagebrushes gave way to oak and pine trees which lined the trade route they followed.

There was no traffic on the road, so the column was able to spread out comfortably. Sometimes Kallista and Merric would dismount and walk to ease the strain on Eagle and Dusk and the other guards usually followed suit when they saw their captain slip out of the saddle.

The third night they camped off the road in a field that had not been replanted that season. The horses had fresh grass to graze on, and there was a bubbling creek a hundred yards further on. They did not light a big fire, but rather several little, contained fires that the men gathered around and cooked their own meals on. Kallista had saved some of her ration of roast pig from the night before and chewed on that.

It wasn’t until the sun was fully down that Merric spoke to her. He came walking up with a small loaf of bread for her and, rather than refuse it and anger him further, Kallista wordlessly took it. She expected him to sit down and say nothing, or perhaps go make his rounds again to avoid her. Instead he looked down at her and asked if she wanted to clean herself.

“What?” she asked, unsure if she had heard correctly.

“I said would you like to get clean? I’m sure you don’t like the road-stink all that much.”

“Well … no. But how?”

“In the stream of course,” he replied, pointing off into the distance.

Kallista felt her face burn, and knew she was blushing. She hoped the darkness hid it sufficiently. “I … I don’t know.”

The corners of Merric’s lips twitched, and she knew he was trying to hide a laugh. “Don’t worry, it’s dark enough. No-one will see.”

She dallied a second longer, debating. Eventually, the desire to feel clean again won out over her self-consciousness and she agreed.

Merric led her through the mess of littered bedrolls and clusters of men grouped around the fires. Kallista could smell something herby mingling with the smoke and stench of unwashed humans. But before she could determine what it was they were out of the crush and marching over the black field.

Merric, with a small lantern in hand, led the way to where the small creek was. He pointed out where the water ran deep, warned her not to run off and turned his back. Kallista hesitated for a moment, wondering if he intended to leave her to bathe in peace. But when he didn’t move she tentatively began undressing, keeping a wary eye on his silhouette.

She left her clothes in a pile in the long grass and quickly entered the water, crushing a gasp at how frigid it was. It was like submerging herself in a tub of snowmelt, and it was all the encouragement she needed to make the bath a quick one.

Kallista had just re-emerged from dunking her head in the water when she heard it; a low curling growl, almost a purr but far more menacing. It came from the reeds on the opposite bank from where Merric was standing. Kallista paused in order to better hear.

“Kallista,” Merric called. “Why have you stopped splashing? If you’re thinking about running, forget it.”

“No, I’m still here,” she replied, teeth chattering from the freezing water. “There’s something in the reeds.”

“Something? Like what?” he asked, sounding confused.

“It sounds like a cat.”

Kallista could tell he didn’t believe her. “Stay low in the water, I’m coming to see what it is.”

She obeyed, keeping her shoulders submerged, shivering violently. Merric stepped over to the edge of the bank and halted to listen, one hand wrapped around the bone hilt of a knife in his belt. He cocked his head slightly.

“What is it?” Kallista asked, eyeing where she thought the sound was coming from.

“I don’t know, but you’d better get out of the water,” he said. His calmness seemed forced and Kallista knew something was seriously wrong. She didn’t hesitate to obey, swimming immediately for the bank.

It was then that she paused, reluctant to let him see her naked. Merric drew his knife with a slick schick of steel on steel. The sound sent a chill down her spine that had nothing to do with the freezing water and quelled any doubts she had.

“What are you waiting for?” Merric growled.

Kallista had just begun climbing from the water when the growl rose to a shriek. She turned in time to see a shadow leap from the reeds.

Straight towards her.