1{The Crash of a Band}

Leaning her back against the wall of the cafeteria, Riley Molina tapped her pencil along to the song playing in her headphones. A senior at Los Feliz High School, Riley had no idea what she was planning to do with her life. She had thought she wanted to go to college and study music for the rest of her life, but all that changed after the death of her mother.

Riley and her mother had an unmatched relationship and could never be replaced. She taught her so much about music and life itself. It was a shock when she passed.

The oldest Molina had vowed to her mother to never give up on the talent she had and to continue her legacy. She also promised to watch her younger sibling Julie and make sure she never lost her spark either. Unfortunately, Riley hadn't been doing such a great job at that request. Her and Julie have barely spoken since the passing. Both dealing with the same pain, they weren't handling it the best.

Riley hadn't lost her love for music, but for Julie, it had disappeared. And Riley had to get it back. But she didn't know that it would take 3 ghosts to help as well...

One of which would fall in love with her.

Through the faint outside noises behind her music, Riley looked up from her Calculus homework to see Carrie Wilson looking down at her.

"Hey there!" Carrie says after clearing her throat to get Riley's attention

"Yes Carrie?" Riley responds removing a headphone from one ear

"I know it's been a while, but I'm just going to be straightforward..." She starts, "But my purple dancer is sick... flu. And since you basically know all of the choreography and I'm desperate for this pep rally, I was wondering if you could step in for her?"

"Oh I don't know about that..."

"Oh come on, you are a great dance contributor to Dirty Candy!" Carrie painly complemented

"Thanks Carrie, but I think I'm gonna pass on this one"

"Alright if you insist, call me if you change your mind!" Carrie flips her hair and leaves, that being the only reason she has to talk to Riley.

The two girls knew each other decently well from when Carrie was one of Julie's best friends. Riley and Carrie used to choreograph many dances together just for fun before Dirty Candy was invented, but they haven't danced together much since, unless Carrie is desperate in a situation like that.

.

After the rest of a regular day of high school, the Molina sisters pull into their driveway and enter their home to their father sitting at the kitchen counter awaiting their arrival.

Home is surprisingly more difficult than school for Riley. Having met Ray a few years before Julie was born, they still don't know each other too well. Riley knows that Ray cares about her just like he would for his real daughter, but it's still clear that it isn't the same amount of time he gives out to Julie and Carlos. He doesn't pay as much attention to Riley, which normally she would be okay with, but ever since her mom's death, the distance has been a little more painful each time.

"Hey kiddos," Dad says, getting up to get a glass of water. "I've been meaning to talk to you both about something."

"Sure, what's up?" Riley chimes in feeling excited that her father is engaging in more conversation with her, even if it's with Julie as well.

"So, if we're serious about this whole," He pauses, "Moving thing. We have to get cleaning. So maybe you girls could tackle your mothers studio together?"

Not what either Molina girls was expecting.

Julie remains silent and looks down to the floor, "Yeah dad, we can definitely do that." Riley answers.

"Really! Oh you guys are the best! Yes!" He kisses both girls on the head and heads outside, Julie heads up to her room which Riley follows.

"Julie?" Riley peers through her half closed door.

"Come in." Julie answers

Riley takes a seat next to Julie on her bed. "Listen, I know since what happened, we've been really distant. But, I want you to know that I am here for you and I really miss you."

Julie and Riley didn't always used to be this way. Their mother would always take them out for girls' days and they would have the best time. There was a time where Julie was Riley's best friend.

They loved picking Dahlia flowers together and making a huge bouquet for their mom. They loved helping their Tia cook, playing video games with Carlos, and having karaoke dress up parties in Riley's room. Both of them missed each other so much, they knew they needed each other at this time, but they weren't ready to admit it.

"And Jules, if you really don't want to help clean out the studio you don't have to, but maybe it would be nice to spend some time with each other...like old times?" Riley continues

Julie doesn't say much, but smiles and leans in for a hug, "You're right. I want to do it. And I want to do it together. I miss you too, a lot."

After sitting there for a minute, the sisters take each other's hands and head to the studio.

Standing in front of the doors, Riley gives Julie a soft hand squeeze of assurance. They each grab one door handle and pull it open taking a deep breath as they do so. Both girls saw their mother as a role model, and being right where everything started for her, it had to feel great.

The Molina sisters say nothing as their heads spin in awe once again of all of their mothers instruments and decorations. They release hands and Riley walks over to the grand piano, running her fingers softly over the keys. There's a paper left on the top of the piano, but just as Riley's eyes find it, she hears Julie mutter a soft apology to her mother so she returns to comfort her.

After a few more minutes of looking around, "Woah, what's this?" Julie asks

"Probably just an old band that mom liked." Riley said examining the CD... Sunset Curve.

"We should play it." Julie chuckles walking to the CD player inserting it inside.

The music begins to play as the girls sit down on the couch. It's some sort of rock music, not Riley's first pick.

Seconds later, the song turns into quiet screams that are increasingly getting louder. Julie and Riley cover their ears in confusion and the next thing they know... 3 boys are laying on the ground before them. The sisters look at each other with wide eyes and then return their gaze back to the boys.

As if on command, Julie and Riley begin screaming at the same time.

The boys return their screams with their own when they realize they aren't alone.

Still screaming, Julie runs out of the garage while Riley jumps behind the couch they were just sitting on, still keeping her gaze on the boys who's screams are dying down.

Following the calmed down screams and more looking around the room, the one in the leather jacket speaks pointing at the girl crouched behind the couch, eyes still peeled above, "Well at least she likes us!"