A No To Forever

Don't let one person, one event, one small problem ruin your entire day. Focus on your blessings, there is so much to be grateful for, flip the scripts. Life is too short and too magical to waste on negativity.

________________________________

Salma looked tepidly from one woman to another who were lined in front of her bedroom as Nasir began the introductions.

"This is Helen, she is the cook" He informed, referring to the huge fair woman who gave a wide grin that made her eyes appear even smaller, almost disappearing into her round-cheeked face.

"Good morning" She greeted, coming forward a little bit "My name is Helen. I am from Warri. I promise to render my excellent services Ma",

"Call me Salma," Salma immediately protested to the woman who looked very excited to have gotten her new job. She didn't like that 'Ma' at all and Salma would have found the chef cap that she wore funny if she was in a better mood.

"Okay, Ma..."

"Call her Miss Salma", Nasir but in and the woman nodded.

Nasir went down to the two petite ladies who stood almost at attention, waiting to be introduced. "This is Tonia" he pointed to the darker girl, "And this is Bukky" he referred to the other girl and they both greeted her at the same time, bending their knees slightly in courtesy. "They are the cleaners" He added, looking over the living room which was covered in dust, "And I think they better get to work" He suggested, looking at them, and they immediately started off leaving Helen who was still standing with a grin. "I think you should also get down to work Helen, Miss Salma can use some breakfast" He said to her.

"Sure" She nodded friskily and looked at Salma, "What can I prepare for you, Miss Salma?" She asked and Salma answered with,

"Just a cup of tea".

"Right away Ma'am" She hurried down the stairs.

Nasir went on to introduce the other set of women who were seated on the chairs in the living room witnessing the first round of introductions.

"This is Hajiya Aliya" He started gesturing towards the light-skinned, plump woman that was cladded in a really classy and beautiful abaya. The woman stood up harboring a nice smile. "She owns the 'Emms Posh atelier' I don't know if you are familiar with it". He informed further. Of course, she knew Emms posh. There was no popular Nigerian fashion designer that was on social media which Salma didn't know. She was obsessed with dresses, she loved clothes. But to avoid courtesies and keep the conversation as short as possible she simply said "NO" and watched the woman try unsuccessfully to hide her surprise.

"Allow me to introduce myself then", she said to her smiling. "My name is Hajiya Aliya Muhammad, C.E.O Emms posh" She announced proudly and Salma forced a smile,

"It is a pleasure" She simply said and it would have really been a pleasure under any other circumstance.

"No, the pleasure is mine to be privileged with the responsibility of taking care of your kayan lefe (bride's gifts). I am honored, please allow my assistants to take your measurements" She said, motioning to the two girls that were standing beside her and Salma drifted her eyes to them. They looked about the same age but one was definitely related to the woman because of the slight resemblance that they shared.

Salma wanted very much to rebel and declare all about how she didn't want to have anything from Tareeq but good senses tell you to behave well around some certain people. She didn't want to appear ridiculous, not in front of this sophisticated lady and so she nodded and stepped forward.