Chapter 2

A STIFF WIND blew through the forest. Sebastian, laid in the higher branches of a tree, on his back with his scythe laying on top of his stomach. He gazed up into the starlit sky. A sigh escaped his lips. It was quiet, too quiet. Unease set in.

 Have the games ended? Had he won? If that was the case, a helicopter would be on its way to escort him back to the lab where his powers were forced on him. Unless they never intended for him to leave. No, that couldn't be. 

No voice came over the speaker saying that he had succeeded. What if there was one more person? He would do everything in his power to hunt them down. Death always wins.

"Help," cried a female voice. Sebastian sat up and scanned the area. Where did that voice come from? He knew all the girls in the arena. 

This voice did not sound familiar. He let off an irritated growl as he rose to his feet. There were always new players. How could he win his freedom if the government kept sending in more players?

Sebastian picked up his scythe and vaulted into the branches of a nearby tree. Using the connected branches of the forest, he ran among the limbs, silent and out of sight of danger."Help me." Came the cry once more.

Sebastian picked up the pace. Under normal circumstances, he would not care what happened to the owner, but something pulled at him. This was the cry of an innocent woman. She will not pay for crimes she did not commit. He would make sure of that.

Coming to a clearing, he jumped from the tree and landed on the grass with a hard thud. He glanced around. 

The cold air blew his hair around him. Nothing. He glanced around the smallfield before proceeding toward a small box that could hold at least one person, in the middle of the clearing. Sebastian walked around it, inspecting it. Someone had pried the door open from the outside.

He turned his gaze back towards the forest."Help!" Came the cry once more. Sebastian gritted his teeth. 

"Of course," Sebastian thought as he turned north, towards the rapists' forest hideout. He removed his scythe from its hilt and charged into the tree line.

 Branches blocked his path. He spun his scythe before slashing it downward. The branches flew off the trees cut clean.

The cry for help grew louder and louder as he progressed. If his suspicions were right, they had dropped a female off. Sebastian continued clearing branches out of his way till a glow of a fire welcomed his gaze. 

"It's okay." He heard a man speak. "We won't hurt you that much." A low chuckle sounded from before him, followed by soft weeping.

"Get away from her, Cedric," Sebastian stated as he moved in closer. A man with tattoos all over his body glared at him. He had a tooth missing, and his fingers were hard and weathered. "I won't ask twice." He moved his blade into the light. 

Cedric stood over a cowering girl. He backed away from her. His stern eyes watched as Sebastian approached her.

Her eyes were filled with tears as he approached. A hard clicking sounded from behind him. He turned. Cedric had pointed a gun at him. 

Sebastian turned his back toward the girl. "Wrong choice." With that, he rushed forward. The gun went off in Cedric's hand. Ducking as the bullet flew over his head, Sebastian swung his scythe upward. A gong sounded as blood shot from Cedric's chest before he fell to the grass.