Chapter 5

THE SUN OVERHEAD faded. Thunder rolled in the distance, and rain began pelting Sebastian's face. His muscles screamed for relief. Sebastian glanced down at the woman in his arms. He could put her back down. However, the last several times he tried, she had gotten lost. The second time he had put her down was near the pyromaniac forest. She nearly stepped on a forgotten sparkler that almost blew her foot off. Another time she ran into a questionable hideaway. Let's just say the government took the chance to show off some undesirable people who weren't fond of clothing.

Sebastian let out a weary sigh as he came to a cave with a small opening. Annalysia shivered as they went inside. Once he entered, he set her down. He strode over to a pile of furs scattered on the cave floor. He dropped onto the rabbit and bear furs. How did this happen? How did he become strapped with this female? A small whimper reached his ears from the entrance. Sebastian stared at Annalysia. She laid at the entrance, curled up in a ball with her knees pulled up to her chest.

"Why are you crying now?" He sat up and rested his back against the cave wall. He watched as the woman raised a hand to dry her eyes before sitting back up.

"Three months ago I was engaged to be married." Sebastian watched as tears raced down her cheeks."I was talking to my fiance when he was murdered," she continued, " and now," there was a brief pause. Their eyes met as she puffed out her chest. The tears were falling ever faster. "I'm being punished for the murder I didn't commit!"

Sebastian studied her. He stood from his furs and walked toward the entrance. Lightning flashed, illuminating the inside of the cave. Their eyes locked for a moment. Annalysia cried and turned her head. "Get some sleep." He threw his head back toward the bundle of fur, "I will stand watch for the night."

"But, I—"

Sebastian went outside in the rain. He turned and watched from the corner of his eye as she stood and disappeared out of sight. Rain pelted his head as he leaned back against the rocky surface.

Thunder rumbled close by. Sebastian jerked his head upward. He must have fallen asleep. Sebastain glanced around the surrounding area. A small figure ran out of the trees and headed toward him. Sebastian stood and swung his scythe downward. The child stared at him, his eyes wide with fear. Sebastian gritted his teeth. "Why are you here, boy?"

The child took a step forward with a hand placed behind his back. Sebastian cocked his head. A blade glinted in the moonlight. He lengthened his stance with his scythe pulled behind his back. "I know what you're planning," he stated, "and I strongly suggest you think twice about attacking Undertaker."

The child pulled the knife from behind his back and dropped down on his knees.

"Why are you in the arena, boy?"

The child looked up at him. There was something familiar about his long white hair and emerald green eyes. The child shook his head and glanced toward him. Sebastian backed up against the wall of the cave. This child was familiar because he looked just like him when he was younger.

"I got thrown in here for feeding my sister table scraps." Tears welled up in his eyes. Sebastian turned away, his heart pounding. Child endangerment was no laughing matter. Neither was starvation and homelessness. Normally these wouldn't be crimes, but in a corrupted government, anything was possible. Sebastian straightened as he glanced towards the child.

"Leave before I kill you myself." He slid the rod of his scythe back into his holster before turning his back on the child with his arms crossed.

"But, I—"

"I said leave!" He spun to face the child, his eyes glowing a solid green. It had to be a trick. The makers of the arena must have put something in the rain, making people see things that weren't there. A shrill scream came from inside the cave. Sebastian rushed back toward the entrance; before going inside, he glanced back toward the boy. He was on his knees, and his body disappeared in a puff of smoke. Sebastian turned and went inside the cave.