ACT III: Chapter 13

Heads up, folk! This will be the longest chapter to date, so this one will be a doozy! Anyways,  enjoy the incoming carnage!

In the early morning hours, the sound of engines echoed in the air as Japanese armor began to advance from the ridge. Type 72s, numbering 50 in strength, lead the charge from the forest line, with Challenger 2s, numbering roughly 125 followed behind, with numerous vehicles and transports carrying the Japanese infantry still loyal to Shiho maintaining distance to the armored spearhead.

The dull roar of artillery accompanied the advance, before the whistling of shells sounded, explosions landing upon the forward defenses of Belfast's, Rommel's, and Saint Gloriana's forces, rudely waking those who were sleeping, and forcing those who decided to take up watch to either dive into trenches and foxholes, or hug the various tanks assembled. With very little ability to do anything but hunker down, the allied infantry remained hidden, with the tank crews, most opting to sleep in their tanks, batted down the hatches and cranked up their engines.

O'hare, having slept in his Firefly due to his distrust of Saint Gloriana, reminding him of the pompous tankers from Manchester, grumbled tiredly before placing his headphones on to listen to the radio chatter that was flooding the net. "All forces, fall silent. This is Commander O'hare of Belfast Independent College. Forward positions are under artillery attack. All infantry, hunker down. Tankers, prepare for an armored assault. Inform Kommandant Rommel and Commander Darjeeling of the assault."

While the allied force did their best to stay alive under the assault, with the unlucky men and women who were awoken before being flung around like rag dolls or filled with shrapnel, Akari smirked as she gazed upon the position. "All forces, attack! Restrictions are gone! Punish the Heretics!" The Type 72s opened fire, their 105mm L7A3 cannons barking lethal packages, blowing through a Matilda, three Panthers ausf. Ds, and a Jagpanther before the crews could react and return fire, the insides of the tanks bloodied from the shrapnel ripping through the crews.

O'hare, frowning as he took the gunner's position. "All forces, return fire! Aim for those MBTs! I don't care if you can't pen the armor, aim for tracks and barrels!" "Shell up!" O'hare concentrated, aiming towards the barrel of a Type 72 before pulling the trigger. The 17 pounder gun roared to life as the AP shell left the barrel, sailing through the air before the shell ricocheted off the gun mantle harmlessly. "Shite..."

The Type 72 traversed over before aiming directly at O'hare's tank. "SHITE! BRACE-" The Firefly shook briefly before the turret lifted off the hull in a ball of flame, the shrapnel flying within the hull before dying down from the explosion. The turret slammed upside down on the ground next to the hull. No one came out of the hull nor the turret as the smell of burning flesh filled the air.

All along the engagement front, similar actions were taken as the Allied forces tried to delay the advance. The infantry, under the command of Saint Gloriana's Samantha O'Brian began to waver, before Samantha spoke up. "Listen now! We must fight a rearguard, so that the others can develop a proper defense! Break off into squads, and engage as you see fit! Take out the tanks if possible!" Explosions erupted around the  trench before Samantha continued. "Priority is enemy infantry! They will most likely try to mop up afterwards! Now move!"

The various men and women nodded as the Germans quickly began to lay suppressive fire upon the now dismounting Japanese infantry, wounding several in the process. The Irish and Saint Gloriana began to pull back, using the wreckage of the tanks as cover as several marksmen took potshots at the Japanese. Samantha fired several shots from her Sten before nodding to the rest, jumping into a crater to provide cover fire to the Germans, who finally decided to get a brain and pull back.

Back at the main defensive line, Rommel and Darjeeling left a shared tent before glancing to a radioman. "Sitrep!" The radioman nodded to Rommel. "O'hare's position radioed in an assault by the enemy, but the communications went silent. I assume that the tanks were wiped out."