Chapter 1: Lauren's Origins

(1998: Carrie's 19 and Lauren is 4.)

It was pretty late at night. Carrie finished moving the couch into place in the new home off the grid. She wipes the sweat away from her forehead and looked around. "So.. This is it. Here's to our new home.." Her voice wavered off into nothing as she sat down on the couch. Lauren saw how upset she was getting and sat next to her. "Momma, please don't cry. It hurts me to see you unhappy." She hugged her while rubbing her back, and Carrie stares down at her. "Oh Lauren.. You never cease to amaze me.." "When will we see Daddy again?" She asked before Carrie does her best to hold back her tears. "Um..."

"I have a better idea. How about I tell you about how you were made? How you came to be?" Lauren immediately nodded and walked up to her room, getting comfortable in bed. Carrie sat down next to her and began to tell the story. "One day, me and your father made a decision that altered things for everyone.. We decided that we wanted a.." "Little girl." Lauren pointed at herself and Carrie strokes her head. "Yes, and that little girl went through many design changes before red became her signature color. And with a magic kiss to the paper.. That little girl was born. And that little girl was.."  She wait for Lauren to finish it and she pointed to herself again. "Me." She laughs and honked her nose. Carrie rubbed her head and laughs. "Oh Lauren.. You're the cutest thing I have ever known besides your aunt Dot.."

"Say mom, how did you all meet in the first place? Can you tell me that story please?" Lauren asked her as well and Carrie began to think about it. "Well alright dear, this'll be the last story for the night. It all started when I was a young lady myself. I wasn't in a happy relationship with Grandma, and I picked up an old tape of my dad. I watched that entire tape through until the end got stopped by her." She lays down next to her as Lauren gasped. "That's horrible. Why would she do that?"

"I don't know, but later that night, I made the decision that enough was enough, so I ran away from home. I wrote a runaway letter, packed my stuff and went out the window." Lauren sat up interested, and Carrie continued the story. "As soon as I landed in Burbank, I ran for a long time until I passed out from exhaustion at least 500 ft away from the studio. That's when your dad, uncle and aunt found me and took me in." She rubbed her arm and then pushed some hair behind her ear. Lauren placed her hands on her cheeks. "So they nursed you back to health?" "Yeah. They did, and I ended up getting my pay or play contract with them. And.. Well, the rest is history." Lauren yawns and got under the covers, and fell asleep.

Carrie kissed her forehead and stood up. She walks out of the door and turned off the light behind her, and her head turns to her. "Sweet dreams sweetheart." Her hand turns off the light and she closes the door softly and she heads to her own room for the night