Living in Korea: 10 Things to Get Used To

It should come as no surprise that different cultures have different customs and societal norms. As a foreigner adjusting to life in Korea, here are 10 things you'll have to try and get used to

Small Apparel Sizes

Like other Asian countries, the apparel sizes that Korea offers may seem quite small in comparison to that of Western countries. You will also find plenty of "free size" or one size fits all clothing.

Drinking Soju

Soju is the alcoholic beverage of choice in South Korea, and is consumed in the same quantities as beer in the States, despite coming in at a much larger alcoholic concentration of approximately 20%.

Appearance Driven

It's not a secret that South Korea is highly appearance driven. As such, be prepared to see some well dressed, and well put together people walking on the streets and even the supermarket. 

Taking Pictures

Whether it's individual shots or group shots, taking pictures is so commonplace in South Korean society that it would be strange if you didn't engage in the practice too.

Aggressive Driving

If you're a foreigner driving in Korea for the first time, the reckless tendencies of many native drivers may surprise you. Some of this may be attributed to the culture's "do things quickly" belief.

Corn

South Korea loves its corn, and it's primarily sweet corn that we're talking about here. You'll find corn on a variety of food items from pizza to desserts, and even hamburgers.

Late Nights (and Lively Night Life)

South Korea is known for its night life, and there certainly isn't a shortage of 24 hour shops in every major city. In fact, it's actually a work tradition to hit up the karaoke bar after dinner.

Eating Kimchi

If Korea had one identifier, it would be kimchi. This traditional side dish is so deeply ingrained in the country's culture that many residential living spaces come with built-in kimchi fridges. 

Having White Rice with Every Meal

While it may seem odd to have white rice with every meal, this is actually the norm for South Koreans and many other East Asian societies. 

Expensive Fruit

If you're planning to buy your fruit from supermarkets, then be prepared for some hefty prices. In fact, you'll probably be paying more for fruit than meat.