Chapter 11

I woke up to the sound of birds singing their morning song.
  I yawned and looked around the room. The sleeping bag beside my bed was empty.

  Did Aurora not come up last night?

  I threw the comforter back and climbed out of bed, not bothering to change out of my old concert t-shirt and cotton shorts.

  I crept down the stairs and saw Noah sleeping on the couch with Aurora sitting on the rug with her head on the couch, also asleep, and holding his hand. I smiled to myself.

  I went into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of juice.

  I looked over at the couch again, and Aurora's eyes fluttered open.

  "Good morning, lovebirds!" I gave her a sly smile.
  Her eyes widened when she noticed the position she was in and quickly moved away from the couch.
  She joined me in the kitchen and grabbed a mug from the cabinet, filling it with the coffee that Grandma Rose made earlier.
  She moved across the counter to face me and leaned against it. She took a sip of the coffee and looked around the kitchen.
  After a few minutes, I broke the silence. "Are we not going to talk about what happened between you two last night?"
  Her eyes landed on mine. "What do you mean?"
  "Come on." I rolled my eyes.
  "We were talking and fell asleep. That's it. Nothing happened." Her voice had a hint of disappointment.

  I wanted to know if she felt the same way about Noah as he felt about her. I wanted to help them. All they needed was a little push. "Seems like there's something going on between you two, if you ask me."
  Her cheeks turned red and she looked over at him. "There isn't anything going on between us. Not really." She sighed.
  "Do you want something to be going on?"
  "I don't know...maybe..."
  I raised an eyebrow at her.
  "Okay, yes. I like him. But I don't think he likes me like that. I'm not his type."
  "Not his type? What? Kind, beautiful, and smart? If he doesn't see that, he's an idiot."

  A yawn came from the living room. "Good morning, girls."

  We whipped our heads around and looked over at the couch. Noah was awake, sitting up, and looking at us.

  He got up and stood beside Aurora.  He stretched his arms and spine out and eyed her coffee. He swiped it off the counter and held it up to his lips.   "Aww, coffee? For me? You shouldn't have?"
  "We didn't. Get your own." She bumped her hip against his and reached for the mug.
  He pulled his arm up and held the mug above her.
  She stood on her tiptoes, but her fingertips barely brushed the bottom of the glass. She jumped against his chest, trying to grab it. "Seems like someone is feeling much better."
  He laughed and held it higher. "Well, I did have a great nurse taking care of me last night. Aside from my pounding headache, I feel great. "
  "Wish I could say the same for how you look."
  His left eye was swollen and black, there was dried blood on his face, and  a huge scar ran across his back which could not be concealed by his thin t-shirt.

  She jumped with much more force, which caused her to fall into him. 

  This sent Noah tumbling to the ground with Aurora on top of him.

  The mug shattered and the coffee spilled onto the floor.

  They stared at each other, lost in each other's eyes.
  Noah tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and she giggled.

  I felt awkward standing there and finally broke their moment. "Aurora, where are the paper towels?"

  She pushed herself off his chest and pulled a roll of paper towels out from behind the coffee maker and soaked up the brown beverage.