An Idea

Zuko's POV: 

       Things between Mai and I have always been on and off. We'd get in a big fight over one minor inconvenience then break up. I'd usually go back to her and ask for forgiveness but I'm done with this game of cat and mouse. 

       It's a big loop with no way out. Unless I don't go back for her this time. This could be a chance to meet other people. 

       "Fire Lord Zuko?" A guard calls into the room. I life my head to meet his gaze, he continues, "Earth King Kuei has invited you to a gala he will be hosting." The guard reads off of a scroll. I stand up and walk towards up taking the scroll from his hands gently. 

       "Send a messenger hawk telling him I will attend." I respond. It's a good chance to get away from the Fire Nation for a little bit. Get a breathe of fresh air and visit Uncle Iroh, maybe I could make a vacation out of this. I could take Kiyi too, if mom let me. 

       I smile and walk out the room excited for this trip. It'll be good for me. Then something sparks in my mind. Someone I've been thinking of a lot lately. Jin. The girl I met as Lee. She was amazing, she liked me, she was beautiful... what happened to her? 

        I walk through the halls and towards the courtyard where mom spends a lot of her time with Kiyi. As soon as I step into the sun I feel stronger, the light soaking into my skin with every second. 

       "Zuko. Come join us." Noren smiles welcomingly to me. He's technically my step father, but I haven't though of him as such. More of an ally, a friend. I smile back though and sit down in the grass. 

       "What's troubling you?" Mom tilts her head keeping an eye on Kiyi. I watch her play in the grass. Chasing turtle ducks around the pond. 

        "I've been invited to a gala in the Earth Kingdom. I want to take off there, in Ba Sing Se with Uncle Iroh. I was wondering if I could take Kiyi and spend some time with her." I look back and forth between Noren and mom. I know mom's pretty nervous about having Kiyi away from her but she smiles softly. 

       "I think that's a wonderful idea, Zuko. What do you think Noren?" She grabs his hand gently. He smiles. 

       "I think she'd like that." At this point Kiyi's noticed I'm here and is racing towards me. She jumps into my open arms excitedly. 

       "Zuzu!" She giggles happily. It still catches me off guard when she calls me that. It's only a reminder of Azula, but it sounds much better coming from her. 

        "Hey, Kiyi. Would you like to go to the Earth Kingdom with me?" I smile letting her sit in my lap. She look up at me with a huge smile.

        "Just the two of us?!" She voice squeals a little. I nod my head and she jumps up eagerly. 

       "Ya! Let's go!" She shouts playfully. I smile watching her get all excited about spending time with me. It's nice having a sister who doesn't want to murder me.