Chapter 2

A few months had passed, winter long gone, the unfortunate day forgotten. The boy walked around quiet on his feet, padding through the cold streets like a mouse, his eyes darting around, analysing every detail about the street. His cloths were heavy on his body, his hair sticking to his forehead. The sound of the rain soothing to everyone else's ears, a nightmare for him. He dug through the trash, his stomach screaming at him. Shoulders slumped as he walked, face plated in dust, he looked like death himself. 

His frail body, painted black and blue from the rough life he lived. He grabbed anything edible he found in the bins, hugging it protectively. Since that day he had learned never to leave food unguarded, the other monsters like creatures were like a wild pack of wild lions. He'd starved for weeks, shivered under the cold wind because of the fatal mistake. He walked into the small abandoned building he called home to see his best friend smiling through the dark, hidden behind the gazillion cobwebs. 

A grin lit up the young boys face as he saw her, waving the packet of crisps around excitedly. "Eliza!! I found a whole packet, they don't even look stale!!" he ran towards the girl hugging her with the biggest grin on his face. The girl barely a year older than him smiled lovingly. "Good job Arni, you did really good. Come, let's go in and get you all dried up." he nodded holding her hand and skipping into the creepy room. The walls of the room were coated in a warm yellow and red, the fire blazing in the middle of the room. The room would have looked homey if it wasn't for the torn up couch the two kids called a bed.

Walking in he pulled off his shirt sitting next to the fire warming up. Eliza walked towards him using a dusty cloth to rub out the water from his hair. Rubbing his hands together and hugged himself warming up a smirk plastered on his face as he looked at Eliza. "Wanna go raid the library again? maybe we can get better books this time?" He had a weird obsessions with books, it helped stop him from talking to himself in his head. He was fighting that annoying voice again as it asked him to burn the packet of crips, then again, did he even need them? He would be okay if he didn't eat today. 

"Of course we can Arni, come here, let's cuddle up, it's warmer that way." the girl whispered softly pulling him onto her lap and hugging him tightly. He smiled leaning against her snuggling in. "You should eat Eli, you haven't eaten anything in days." he got up grabbing the chips and sitting back down in her lap. She smiled at him nodding and opening the packet and slowly eating a few before sealing it up with he heat off the fire. "I'm not going to force you but you better eat after a while okay? You haven't eaten in almost a week, you're still a growing child." she lectured him poking his shoulder playfully. He smiled softly nodding a bit. 

The fire crackling in the background, making an abandoned house seem warm. They both lay down on the couch, springs creaking and groaning, dust puffing out from under the cousion. They hugged each other tightly using their body heat as a blanket along with the blanket Arnold had with him when he was first left. They fell deep into the safe arms of sleep, smiles adorning their faces.