The Beginning

"My lady, it's time to wake up."

I hear the sharp sound of curtains being pulled open and tied back. The sun shines brightly on my face, and I hear the faint sound of birds chirping outside my window. I sit up in bed and watch as Maria rolls a small wooden table over to my bed. On the table is a basin, a washcloth, and a pitcher. Maria was a short, skinny young woman. She had been my lady-in-waiting ever since I was a child. For the past seven years, she has clothed me, bathed me, and she has prepared me for marriage and other duties that I will be performing at court in the near future. Maria came to work for my family when I was ten years old. I remember the first thing I ever noticed about her was her hair. It was the most beautiful brown, and it was tied back in a fashionable braided bun that was elegant but plain enough to be suitable for a servant. She also had green eyes like my mother's cat, Monarch.

"Would you like to wash your face now, Miss?" Maria questioned as she delicately lifted the pitcher and poured the steaming water into the basin.I turned towards the table and Maria walked over to the other side of the room so she could open the windows. I turned toward the basin and dipped my finger tips in the water, my feet dangling right above the red Persian rug. I slowly inserted my hands deeper into the basin, the hot water engulfing my palms. I let my hands float in the water for a moment, my eyes closed, breathing in the smell of fresh morning air. And everything is perfect, just for a moment. And then the moments ends. And I remember what day it is. And I wish I hadn't woken up this morning.

                                                                                               ***

Three maids stand before me, holding large boxes with intricate designs on the outside. On the inside are many different jewels of all shapes and sizes for me to choose from. The first maid holds a box of necklaces. There are three: the first is a gold pendant wrapped around a beautiful amethyst and a long gold chain with smaller amethysts all over it. I don't even have to look at the other two to make my decision.

"The first." I say, and the maid nods as she takes it out of the box and wraps it around my neck, connecting it in the back with a small golden clasp. She then stands off to the side as I inspect myself in the mirror. I turn to look at the other boxes. The second maid holds a box of earrings. There are four pairs, all are gold with gems in the middle. I choose the one with amethyst to match the necklace. I turn to the last box, which holds the rings. They are very exquisite, but I none appeal to me.

"I would prefer to wear gloves, if that is alright. Maria, will you fetch my white ones?"

 "Of course, Miss."

"Thank you." By the time I put on the gloves, The three maids were standing off to the side and Maria was standing behind me with the corset, ready. I grabbed on to the bed post and took a deep breath and told Maria to begin. She wrapped it around my body and started by lacing up the bottom and pulling after every tie. As she got higher and higher, it felt like she was pulling harder and harder. Once the corset was finished, it was time for the dress. I had chosen a lavender one to match the jewelry. Marie and the three maids worked together to dress me as I stood in front of the mirror and watched, dreading the day that lay ahead of me.