Stairway to Another World (One-Shot)

"It's a shadow world down there."

Alexandra jumped at the sound of her grandmother's voice. A ripple went over the surface of the small pond. Alexandra's fists clenched. The autumn breeze chilled her to the core.

"Grandmother, you scared me."

"I'm sorry, dear. It's getting dark. Nightfall is near."

"What is a shadow world?"

"One that you should never hope to know. Especially at full moon, when the silver disc fills the pond's surface."

Alexandra swallowed hard. She was nearly old enough to marry but her grandmother's stories never failed to frighten her.

"I didn't see any fish in the pond." Alexandra remarked on their way back into the house.

"Is that what you were looking for? Oh, dear. There haven't been fish here for years."

"What happened to them?"

"I suppose they swam away."

Alexandra laughed at the outrageous remark but a deep sense of foreboding took hold of her. 

All of the stories her grandmother knew told of magic. Some even told of magical flies. But none of them had ever told of shadows or a shadow world. Until now. 

Unable to sleep, Alexandra wrapped herself in a coarse, woolen shawl and slipped out of bed long after the last candle had been blown out. Quietly, she crept to the window. The moon was full and bright when she opened the curtains. It seemed to be calling to her in a non-verbal, magnetic manner. 

Alexandra felt a pull on her clothes and hair, so slight it was hard to notice at first. Once her feet had passed the threshold of the small, crooked house, however, the pulling and tugging became stronger. A light tremor shook her body like a tiny earthquake every time her bare feet touched the ground. 

Only when she reached the pond did the tugging cease. Its entire surface was covered by the milky reflection of the full moon. Faintly shimmering beneath the silver disc, was something that resembled a stairway. One narrow stone step after another, it led into the unknown depths of the quiet pool. 

When Alexandra dipped her toe into the water, she was astounded to find that it was far from cold. It did not feel wet. The moonlight had transformed it into whirling shadows. Step by step, Alexandra descended into the secret world below.

The stairway seemed to continue endlessly. Her steps almost made no sound. Casting her gaze upwards, the surface of the pond allowed the moon to cast a shining beacon of light onto the steep stairway. 

Just as Alexandra had made up her mind to turn back, a figure jumped out at her. It appeared solid, like a statue cast in bronze, but its movements were fluid like curling smoke. Alexandra screamed.

"Now, now. Let's not be frightened." the creature said in a hissing, snake-like voice.

"Who are you? What are you?"

"Oh...you mean you don't recognize me?

"Recognize you?"

"But yes...I have been your companion all your life."

Alexandra shook her head.

"I am your shadow, Alexandra."

Alexandra recoiled in shock and disgust. Ready to accuse the creature of lies, the familiar silhouette of her own form hovering in the moonlight, stopped her in her tracks. Her feet slipped and she landed hard on her left hip and elbow. The shawl slipped from her shoulders.